ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

NFL Visual Effects Questions???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher FoddeNFL Visual Effects Questions???
by on Oct 22, 2012 at 8:34:58 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows how to do the following effects on After Effects?

Note- Some of my clips aren't the best quality if that has any affects, also my hd clips are .MTS if that's a bad file format.

1. Having a ring follow a player with out it overlapping the player.

Note- I know you have to track but I don't know how to make the ring look like it's going around the player and masking every step will take forever.

2. Having a Yellow first down line that doesn't overlap the players when they step on it and also other things like 3rd & 4.

3. This is a little off topic but if anyone knows, I have some football clips that are very shaky I tried warp stabilizer but its a mess if I leave the auto crop the clip is cut so small and I tried scaling the clip larger but sometimes their some frames that would flip sideways or the clip would move so much to one side I have to scale it again!

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: NFL Visual Effects Questions???
by on Oct 23, 2012 at 3:35:47 am

Christopher

This is not done in After Effects.

They use a different computer system for this known as 1st & 10 Graphic System.

Here is the link which will help you to understand it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_%26_Ten_(graphics_system)

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Christopher FoddeRe: NFL Visual Effects Questions???
by on Oct 23, 2012 at 3:49:46 am

Thanks for the info on the 1st & 10 Graphic System but I know they don't use after effect. I'm asking how I can do a similar effect with my clips, not live footage.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: NFL Visual Effects Questions???
by on Oct 23, 2012 at 4:59:50 am

[Christopher Fodde] "1. Having a ring follow a player with out it overlapping the player."

It's a lot more work than masking a 2D layer - the ring requires masking to create behind the player and in front of the player parts of the ring.

A 3D approach requires separating the player from its background, preferably with rotobrush. Then turn the player into a 3D layer and drop a copy of the original clip behind the player. Then create a 3D ring using a mask path on a 3D layer. DO NOT create a camera or this may change the size of the separated, 3D player, relative to the original background.

You'll then need to either track the player in 3D space and link the masked/shape layer to the tracked player OR manually animate the masked/shape layer to follow the player.

FWIW, mocha AE/Pro V3 does 3D Object Tracking - here's an example I made a couple of days ago - http://www.broadcastgems.com/mediastreamer/HCW_3DObjectTracking01_BeforeAft...

Take note that AE's built-in camera tracker doesn't do 3D Object Tracking. The difficulty with tracking footage such as yours (2D or 3D) is the amount of on-screen activity. You'll need to track unobstructed planes/areas to first obtain a camera solve before you initiate a 3D object track.

[Christopher Fodde] "2. Having a Yellow first down line that doesn't overlap the players when they step on it and also other things like 3rd & 4."

Essentially, the same technique as above is required. A lot depends on the type of camera moves and of course the requirement for CLEAN areas to track.

[Christopher Fodde] "3. This is a little off topic but if anyone knows, I have some football clips that are very shaky I tried warp stabilizer but its a mess if I leave the auto crop the clip is cut so small and I tried scaling the clip larger but sometimes their some frames that would flip sideways or the clip would move so much to one side I have to scale it again!"

There is perhaps too much fast action in your shots for Warp Stabilizer. Perhaps you can search for relevant tutorials to see if you are able to tweak the settings to achieve desired results.

There's always manual stabilization using either mocha or AE.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Conrad OlsonRe: NFL Visual Effects Questions???
by on Oct 23, 2012 at 6:56:29 pm

You don't need to put the player into 3D space.

The ring and the line are done in 3D space but you could use a combination of a 2D tracker, a corner pin and some hand animation to cheat that effect.

If you want to do it in 3D space you would have to use the camera tracker to solve the camera move, then create a surface that matches the football field. Then you would animate the ring or the line on this surface. When it is rendered through the tracked camera it will have the correct perspective.

You can then just use a chroma keyer to key the green field, invert it, and apply it to the ring so that they players are cut out of the ring.

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

by on Oct 24, 2012 at 1:04:46 am

Is it possible that someone can post an example. I tried mocha, rotobrush, and other things. I'll try camera tracker and chroma keyer thing.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 24, 2012 at 1:11:20 am

There is a lot of work involved in creating an affect like this. Do you have a particular piece of footage that you are using? If you post that then maybe we can give you more specific suggestion.

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

by on Oct 24, 2012 at 2:47:07 am

I can't post my footage but here is a great example of the footage I'm using. It has both on field footage and top view footage and its basically the same quality as mine.

Note- 1:13 or 1:52 are good examples for using a ring on a player

Note- skip 22 seconds so you get straight to the game and 44 seconds to see the top view of the game

Return to posts index

by on Oct 24, 2012 at 1:23:00 pm

Hopefully the suggestions will allow to proceed in a productive manner. Like Conrad says, it's not an easy task if you're not familiar with the workflow and techniques involved. Hopefully you won't have too many shots to work on.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Oct 24, 2012 at 1:21:00 pm

Agreed on the line thingy - a 2D, planar track should. For the ring effect, which I'm visualizing as a donut over a player, I'd much prefer a 3D solution. Rotobrush will provide a productive solution to separate the player from the background. Matching the 3D player to the 2D backing plate requires simple math to its position and parenting to the camera.

BTW, Mathias of MamoWorld has just released Orient World. It works well with AE's built-in 3D Camera Tracker and is especially useful should you require a reset of the solved world and a definable ground plane.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Oct 24, 2012 at 4:18:18 pm

I'm still learning mocha but can mocha still track shaky shots or not full had quality clips like the example I posted? Also, cause no one answered is .MTS bad for premiere and after effects? Mocha can't import that format so I'm wondering.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 24, 2012 at 4:35:56 pm

The biggest problem you are going to have with footage like this is going to be the tracking, especially with camera zooms.

Trying to get a full 3D camera track to do any kind of 3D solution is going to take time but will ultimately give you the best result.

Mocha should be able to track the field surface and then give you corner pin data that you can apply to the ring graphic. You are still going to have to add a layer of hand animation or 2D tracking on top of this to get the ring to follow the player.

In both cases you are going to have to come up with some kind of matte (roto or keying) to mask out the players as they will screw up your tracking.

.mts files are not great to work with. They are processor intensive. After Effects will perform better if you convert it to either an image sequence or a QuickTime codec like PhotoJPG, Animation or ProRes.

I've just watched an FXPHD video about how they did this for the America's Cup sailing, it wasn't easy. Very interesting video though. If you are an FXPHD member check out the Background Fundamentals class 01.

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]