ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Moving Assets in the OS without Breaking Link Inside AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin CaminMoving Assets in the OS without Breaking Link Inside AE?
by on Oct 22, 2012 at 4:36:48 am

This issue has always bothered me. Sometimes mid project I'll want to reorganize the files in my Finder or move them to a RAID or something, and it can be a hassle to reconnect them inside the program.

Is there a 3rd party app or script that allows you to move the file from inside AE so that the file path changes on the fly?

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Moving Assets in the OS without Breaking Link Inside AE?
by on Oct 22, 2012 at 5:00:41 am

There's probably a script that can help, but I don't know about it.

But I think you're following a dangerous practice by just dragging whatever you want from wherever you want into AE... and you're now experiencing why it's dangerous. I'd establish a folder containing all the stuff you need for that project alone. You can call it "Footage", and it lives within the folder where you keep the AE project file as well.

By following that kind of practice, your project then becomes portable from machine to machine, which can be very handy.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CaminRe: Moving Assets in the OS without Breaking Link Inside AE?
by on Oct 22, 2012 at 5:12:55 am

At the end of the project I run a 'Collect Project' command, and archive everything nicely.

But as a standard practice, I don't like to keep everything within a folder structure where the AE file is being held. I have a 'renders' folder on another part of my drive where I render my Cinema 4D files to. And my video footage is often kept on a RAID. I also have a sizable stock library and keep those assets in another area and am not keen on the idea of duplicating the file on my system in order to move a copy of it to the AE folder.

Another reason to separate things into different areas is that I run two different online back-up synchronizations and don't want to back-up all the assets online. For instance the video files are physically backed up and stored off-site. It would take weeks sometimes to back them up online for a single project.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

adam taylorRe: Moving Assets in the OS without Breaking Link Inside AE?
by on Oct 22, 2012 at 9:34:28 am

You have already mentioned the most obvious way - use the "Collect Project" and instead of manually shuffling your files, get AE to put them in a logical place.

As Dave said, its not wise to move files around.

What i don't understand is why, if you keep your files in the places you have suggested, that you would feel the need to re-locate files in mid-project. Thats just creating more work and more potential for losing stuff.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Kevin CaminRe: Moving Assets in the OS without Breaking Link Inside AE?
by on Oct 22, 2012 at 9:25:38 pm

You make a good point.

I need a more organized system. Things can get a little sloppy during a large project because I'm working with other programs that are rendering a large numbers of assets for use in AE--I tend to organize them in a certain, convenient way while in the heat of things, then consolidate them later, when I'm trying to clean up the Finder. There are other situations I can't really think of currently that cause me to want to move things around later. But I agree, this is a workflow issue.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]