ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Trapcode 3D stroke

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg JacksonTrapcode 3D stroke
by on Oct 19, 2012 at 7:53:23 am

Using AE CS5, I have a video containing moving features that needs tapered lines growing on and following along.

* I make a mask spline on a solid layer.
* I animate a null to follow feature and link the solid to this.
* I add trapcode 3D stroke to the solid layer to get the stroke effect on the mask line.

The problem is I can’t seem to get the stroke to line up and move with the mask line. I did manage to line it up by using front view mode in the camera options (of tracode 3D stroke) but then it wouldn’t move with the null motion.

Any help would be much appreciated

Return to posts index

Greg JacksonRe: Trapcode 3D stroke
by on Oct 19, 2012 at 8:03:36 am

Just realised what the problem is.
The solid layer is much bigger than the comp and video footage layer.

If the solid is the same size then everything lines up perfectly.

Trouble is I need the solid layer bigger in order for it to track the features on the video without running off the end of the solid layer.

Not sure what the best solution is here.

Edit: Simple solution! Precomp the solid layer and then pan/scale/rotate the precomp as needed.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Trapcode 3D stroke
by on Oct 19, 2012 at 11:52:38 am

You really don't want to change the scale(or really do any transformations) of the layer with 3d stroke. You want to do those transformations.

Without knowing the exact specifics of your track, I can't tell you how to do this step by step, but what you need to do is to link that tracking data to the the different properties under the transform pull
down within stroke. If it's easy, it might be as simple as enabling expressions and pick-whipping to the null's tracking data.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Trapcode 3D stroke
by on Oct 19, 2012 at 1:58:48 pm

Hmmm, John, me thinks the trick is to stabilize the shot, apply 3D stroke, and re-introduce the inherent motion back into the shot - IOW inverse/reverse stabilization should do well here.

There was a thread just a week or so ago on the topic.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Greg JacksonRe: Trapcode 3D stroke
by on Oct 20, 2012 at 11:09:29 am

Thanks John and Roland for your help.

Sorry I didn't realize you had responded until after I updated my second post.

Precomping the solid layer and animating the precomp worked fast in my situation (Simple linear pans), however for more control I will keep in mind your suggestions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved