ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Crisp Custom Layer Artwork in Element 3D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Davies
Crisp Custom Layer Artwork in Element 3D
on Oct 18, 2012 at 10:50:57 am

I need to create a 3D globe, preferably using Element 3D. I plan on rotating a camera round the Earth and then zoom to a certain city.

I have imported and converted an Earth wrap vector to a shape layer and set this as a custom texture map in Element 3D. It looks great until I try zooming in. See attached image... GB Zoom

I've scaled the shape layer which helped a bit but still can't seem to find a method that will give me crisp lines that will allow me to focus right in on a specific area.

I've tried variations of continuous rasterize, and different sizes but getting nowhere. Is there something I am missing? I've worked with shape layers plenty but never needed to zoom quite as much as this.

Any help appreciated,

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
Re: Crisp Custom Layer Artwork in Element 3D
on Oct 18, 2012 at 3:02:22 pm

I don't know much about Element....

But can you precomp the map source (in an oversized comp to prevent edge clipping)

use the precomp as the map source in Element

then keyframe the scale of the layer inside the precomp to match the timing of the move in on the element object in the main comp?

a little tricky but should give a decent result I would think.....

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Mike Dunkin
on Apr 9, 2013 at 12:49:11 pm

Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same issue. Any precomp image seems to pixelate on a sphere.

Mike

Mike Dunkin

Return to posts index

John Davies
on Apr 9, 2013 at 3:35:54 pm

Sorry Mike, I struggled with this for too long and had deadlines looming, so I ended patching scenes together with a mix of C4D for the close-ups and Element for the wider, animated shots.

Not easy or straight-forward, I just bodged it to get those scenes out of the way.

If you find any alternative methods work out for you, let me know!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]