ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tough iphone screen track

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris TarrozaTough iphone screen track
by on Oct 17, 2012 at 9:04:12 pm

Hi there

I need some help tracking this particular shot. An iphone being held and I need to do a screen replacement. After many attempts through mocha AE, I'm back at square one with nada. Could be that it's a slightly tough track, could also be my inexperience with mocha.

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/iphone-screen-track-original

I have followed the tutorial on the imagineer website, but because the angle of my shot is different and the hands move away from the phone, the situations aren't the same...that and, again, I am pretty inexperienced with mocha

Tutorial I tried to follow: http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/mocha-ae-iphone-screen-replace-tutor...

This is the shot I MUST use, there is no alternative, no chance of doing a reshoot. Oh and if it makes a difference, it was shot on an Alexa at LogC. I just put a LUT on this shot. Also i was tracking without any CC on it if that also affects results.

Any help, suggestions, tips, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Tough iphone screen track
by on Oct 17, 2012 at 9:43:42 pm

You need to track the phone AND roto the hand to get this composite to work. Send me a link so I can download it and I will give it a shot.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Tough iphone screen track
by on Oct 18, 2012 at 1:10:22 am

What are the issues that you're facing. If you do not describe, specifically, what is wrong with your results then it makes it unnecessarily difficult for anyone to provide assistance. BTW, you shouldn't require roto-ing the finger since a green plate has been placed on the screen. A basic key should do.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Tough iphone screen track
by on Oct 18, 2012 at 3:20:50 am

Oooops. That is true Roland. My bad.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

by on Oct 18, 2012 at 2:27:04 pm

FWIW, the tutorial that was linked in the first post shows Martin roto-ing the finger - which is a great way to show how mocha's tracking and roto-ing tools work together. However, without noticeable and frequent sheen on the phone's dark facing, a luminance matte should be sufficient and faster, to isolate the finger.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Chris TarrozaRe: Tough iphone screen track
by on Oct 18, 2012 at 10:14:22 pm

Thanks guys.

You're right no need to roto the fingers as I can just key it.

The problems happen both near the beginning when the hand on the left grabs the phone and then towards the end when the phone lands on the table and the thumb gets in the way. The track drifts whenever the perspective of the phone changes, and yes I have 'perspective' checked.

Also, because the corners of the screen are being blocked by his fingers, I can't apply the planar surface properly, just guessing at it.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 18, 2012 at 11:09:58 pm

The thumb, which is the foreground, relative to the screen, does move a little at the start and the end of the sequence. More often than not, such extraneous movement, from a foreground object, will cause the tracker to track the foreground object instead of the intended target.

In Martin's tutorial that you alluded to in your first post, he began his task by tracking the foreground object, for just those frames where its motion intruded into the tracking area. You should do the same for the thumb.

Once the thumb has been tracked, you switch off its tracking icon, in the Layer Controls pane. You then draw a spline around the face and/or edge of the phone - the bigger the tracking area, the better your results will tend to be. Prior to initiating the track for the screen, ensure that the layer hierarchy, in the Layer Control pane is such that the foreground layer (thumb) is above the screen layer.

Setting pixels used to 90% is always a good idea. I would try tracking without Perspective or Shear; seeing that there isn't much of a perspective change in the tracking area, such a setup may lead to better results. One important thing to take note of is that you can export Corner Pin tracking data without initiating a Shear/Perspective track.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]