ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Combining space scene with over lit subject

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly LeeCombining space scene with over lit subject
by on Oct 16, 2012 at 10:03:38 am

I have a very brightly lit scene. There is a person coming out from a white door. It was shot in green screen.

I got away with keying for a sample, but I will probably have to rotoscope... the scene is so brightly lit, the greens have whites in them. The light bleeds into the green floor.

The problem is, well, the space scene doesn't match the character and the object's over lighted form. They are too evenly bright to be standing in space.

I threw in shiny objects to explain the brightness, but there are also colorful stars flying by, and I am really worried about the brightness of the colorful shades of reflection I have to throw on the character.

I am not the one who is color grading... so my question is: Do I have to match background and objects to the brightness of the character?

Or is it possible to ask for a color graded version of the scene? I know color correcting comes last in the overall workflow, but the darkness and bright/colorfulness of the space really bothers me, especially compared to the even overly lit character.

Or if you are not the color grader is it acceptable to color grade as you composite along? I avoided this, feeling like it was a taboo... but just in case.

Return to posts index

Stefan HinzeRe: Combining space scene with over lit subject
by on Oct 16, 2012 at 6:15:47 pm

not shure if this helps, but....

take the sceen, make a new AE project (not a comp! a PROJECT!)
import sceen, make comp.... bla bla
now, go to the Prject window,
click on the "8-Bit",
click on color space,
select "sRGB-blablabla",
*here´s the magic*
make it a LINEAR COLORSPACE (checkmark),
aply CURVE or something,
take down the brightness... look what happens....

...maybe it works

export... import in working comp..

It´s hart to help you without any image... maybe the footage is way to bright, maybe you only have DV footage, maybe you already work in 16-bit...

anyways, i hope this is helpfull!
good luck ;)

(take a step back, to see the bigger picture)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved