ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

trimming clips query

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris bretttrimming clips query
by on Oct 15, 2012 at 4:33:44 pm

Hi - have 5 minute long clip of gfx shots cut into loads of layers on a time line so I can spool and identify them.

Problem I'm having is when I want to extend a clip which is effectively a still to go as part of an edit -- when I drag out the coloured layer bar in the time-line All the other shots come back

--- this can got to be an easy one and I've got to be doing this wrong I think .......

-- how do you guys work without a clip library ??? ( this would make a good plug-in if it does not exist )

So to simplify -- when I go edit / split layer to trim up shots how do I make sure the bits I do not want on that layer are truly gone please ?

----Chris Brett

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: trimming clips query
by on Oct 15, 2012 at 4:42:30 pm

[chris brett] "So to simplify -- when I go edit / split layer to trim up shots how do I make sure the bits I do not want on that layer are truly gone please ?"

Short answer: Ae is not an NLE, so this just doens't work the same way as you might be used to with an Autodesk background (which I would love to chat with you about sometime).

Longer answer: if you need to treat pieces of video as if they were stills, you can right-click the layer > Time > Freeze frame. If you need to freeze the final frame of a piece of motion, enable time-remapping for the layer and add a hold keyframe to the final frame you want.

[chris brett] "how do you guys work without a clip library ???"

Either back and forth with Premiere Pro, or on locked edits, or by thinking in terms of a single shot rather than an edited sequence.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: trimming clips query
by on Oct 15, 2012 at 4:54:34 pm

thanks Walter :-(

----- I see a late evening looming .... better get rendering out loadza bits to a dump bin .....

..... AE is so nearly a completely brilliant system ....but as it is its just partly there I think ...

All the best

Chris

Return to posts index

by on Oct 15, 2012 at 5:20:03 pm

-- If I render out all the various clips to a dump bin as 'uncompressed ' jpegs I can view the folder contents when I open up the dump bin --- not ideal but might do this ...

Also wondering if I render out in fields ( as from camera ) then in the final comp it I add A track matt ( which is part of logo shape ) and zoom back to form part of the final logo -- am I likely to get any fielding errors please as the image is resised or is AE good at handling this please ?

Also I see there is a frame blending option when rendering --- can someone let me know what this one is please and might I need it to solve this please ?

---- all replies very gratefuly received - this one has caught me out a bit ..

--------------- chris

Return to posts index

by on Oct 15, 2012 at 5:50:19 pm

[chris brett] "Also wondering if I render out in fields ( as from camera ) then in the final comp it I add A track matt ( which is part of logo shape ) and zoom back to form part of the final logo -- am I likely to get any fielding errors please as the image is resised or is AE good at handling this please ?"

Ae handles fields well. Make sure that "Separate fields" is on in the interpretation for your camera footage, and make sure that "Field render" is on in the render settings of your render queue item.

[chris brett] "Also I see there is a frame blending option when rendering --- can someone let me know what this one is please and might I need it to solve this please ?"

Frame blending is used by Ae to interpolate new frames from existnig frames any time the frame rate of a piece of footage doesn't match the frame rate of the rendering comp.

A layer has three possible frame blending options which control how this interpolation work: none (which means frames will be duplicated or skipped as necessary to keep time), frame mix (which interpolates new frames by blending neighboring frames), and pixel motion (which interpolates new frames by using optical flow).

For either frame mix or pixel motion to be active in a comp, it must be selected for at least one of the layers and the comp itself must have its frame blending option turned on.

In a render queue item's render settings for frame blending, you have three options: current settings (which relies on the current settings for layers and comps), on for checked layers (which relies on layer settings but will render with frame blending regardless of whether the comp's frame blending switch is on), and off for all layers (which forces frame duplication/skipping regardless of layer and/or comp settings).

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Oct 15, 2012 at 5:56:42 pm

Walter - thanks for your time on this - much appreciated.

----------------------------------chris --

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: trimming clips query
by on Oct 16, 2012 at 2:25:27 pm

I don't know what your precise needs are for these clips.

In a former position, I wasn't allowed to implement the appropriate software, so I would go back to an old film analog: an A-Roll and a B-Roll. Sometimes a C-Roll when necessary.

I would build in the appropriate handles for transitions and such, then export each one separately for use in AE.

It was crude, it wasted time, it was a false economy, but it worked.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Oct 16, 2012 at 2:39:49 pm

Thanks Dave --

-- thats more or less what I have done --

- considering the other amazing plug-ins for AE I wonder if a clip library plug-un might be a possible future development - I reckon that would be real useful ............

all the best ------chris --

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: trimming clips query
by on Oct 16, 2012 at 4:03:50 pm

Well, there IS media management software available... for a cost, of course.

But it sounds like you want to extend the duration of already-rendered clips. They may be animated graphics, but once rendered, they behave just like video shot by a camera, and you would have to treat them as such.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Oct 16, 2012 at 4:08:24 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Well, there IS media management software available... for a cost, of course."

You can use Bridge. There's even a right-click option on files to place them in After Effects.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Oct 16, 2012 at 4:31:39 pm

...thanks Guys

Loads of homework here to keep me busy I see ...

All the best

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]