ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

White cyc with graphics and camera moves

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Booth
White cyc with graphics and camera moves
on Oct 15, 2012 at 2:04:59 pm

Hello. I'm doing some pre-production and the client wants to do one of those things were the subject is walking in an infinite white space with graphics appearing next to them. My intuition tells me to shoot on a white cyc and comp the graphics in AE. However, the talent will be moving and presumably the camera will be moving as well. So, the graphics should maintain perspective and track with the camera. I'm imagining AE's 3D camera tracker would be good for this, but since it will be shot on white there will be very little for AE to track. Would it be realistic to add track points on set with tape and roto them out? I really don't know how to best achieve this. So, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Josh Booth
Animation/Film Director
innis maggiore
4715 Whipple Avenue NW
Canton Oh 44718
http://www.innismaggiore.com
positioning is our position.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: White cyc with graphics and camera moves
on Oct 15, 2012 at 2:22:56 pm

You'll want to storyboard this series of shots. Know all the camera moves you may want to make. Know the framing of the shot. Know how any additional graphics, logos, etc. will move. Run tests if you have never done shots like this before so you can solve unanticipated problems before you do it for real.

Once you know the shots will work, get client approval on them.

If you can do so as you think through the storyboards, eliminate camera moves. The production process becomes much simpler. Remember that if the subject moves against a featureless background, there really isn't a need to track anything but the subject. The subject simply has to hit a mark on the floor.

If the subject is brighter than the featureless white background, it will be tough to pull a key. You may want to consider shooting on a chroma key background. It's simple to make a featureless white background in AE. This is also part of the testing process.

I guess to distill down all this rambling, remember this: know what you're going to do and know that it will work before you shoot.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Josh Booth
on Oct 15, 2012 at 2:27:24 pm

Thanks. I'd prefer not to chroma key it as to avoid spill. I agree that as much planning as possible should go into this and all projects. But we all know that we never get to plan as much as we'd like.

Josh Booth
Animation/Film Director
innis maggiore
4715 Whipple Avenue NW
Canton Oh 44718
http://www.innismaggiore.com
positioning is our position.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 15, 2012 at 2:50:27 pm

Glad to know you're putting in the work prior to the shoot. Far too few people do so.

Do you have a large enough white cyc to allow the camera to pan with the subject? You could use tracking markers just above the subject's head, which should be a fairly easy roto job. You could fill in the holes by using the original shot, repositioned horizontally.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]