ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Client asked for DPX, After Effects generates .cin

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan LangdonClient asked for DPX, After Effects generates .cin
by on Oct 15, 2012 at 1:58:12 pm

I am exporting an image sequence to be used in compositing in Smoke.
The AE CS4 project is 32-bit, the client asked for DPX 10-bit (all DPX is 10-bit, I understand).

Since there is no .DPX format output in AE (is there?), I discovered the Cineon export option. But it generates .CIN files... will this work for them?
I read here on the Cow that one can just change the extension using some automator, changing .CIN for .DPX... but they also mentioned that this might be problematic with header info that is supposed to go along.

What do people suggest I do?
The client also mentioned a TIF sequence would be fine, but DPX ideal, and thus I want to try the ideal path.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Client asked for DPX, After Effects generates .cin
by on Oct 15, 2012 at 3:23:30 pm

[Alan Langdon] "Since there is no .DPX format output in AE (is there?), I discovered the Cineon export option. But it generates .CIN files... will this work for them?"

Add your sequence to the render queue, then click on the Output Module. Select Cineon sequence, then the Color Management tab (which should automatically open), click Cineon Settings. Change the file format to DPX.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Alan LangdonRe: Client asked for DPX, After Effects generates .cin
by on Oct 15, 2012 at 5:41:51 pm

Walter, I appreciate your quick reply.
I apologize for such a simple issue: why couldn't I see the DPX option in the Cineon options?
I am at a production house, where they have CS5, and where I can see the DPX option. At home, where the mentioned job is being done, I shall locate it within CS4 just the same, I bet.

Furthermore, many thanks!!

Return to posts index

by on Oct 15, 2012 at 5:55:19 pm

[Alan Langdon] "Walter, I appreciate your quick reply.
I apologize for such a simple issue: why couldn't I see the DPX option in the Cineon options?"

I'm happy to help, and there are certainly no apologies needed. It's a very easy option to find once one knows where to look; nothing else in Ae that I can think of buries the major output format a couple clicks deep like this.

[Alan Langdon] "I am at a production house, where they have CS5, and where I can see the DPX option. At home, where the mentioned job is being done, I shall locate it within CS4 just the same, I bet."

I think that this is a change between CS4 and CS5. CS4- called them Cineon sequences and defaulted to Cineon output; CS5+ calls them DPX/Cineon sequences and defaults to DPX output.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Alan LangdonRe: Client asked for DPX, After Effects generates .cin
by on Oct 17, 2012 at 2:01:59 am

Walter-

All your help is much appreciated!

I am almost there, it seems. My CS4 AE at home also allows me to choose DPX as the extension, so should've been fine... BUT, when I try to choose RGB+Alpha (I need both, and at Trillions of Colors+, I would assume), it doesn't let me: its either RGB or Alpha, but not both... what am I missing? Or is this a CS4 bug? I didn't check at the production house I was at if there I could have exported RGB + Alpha...
I need to export titles, for the client to integrate with footage in Smoke.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 17, 2012 at 2:16:03 am

[Alan Langdon] "I am almost there, it seems. My CS4 AE at home also allows me to choose DPX as the extension, so should've been fine... BUT, when I try to choose RGB+Alpha (I need both, and at Trillions of Colors+, I would assume), it doesn't let me: its either RGB or Alpha, but not both... what am I missing? Or is this a CS4 bug? I didn't check at the production house I was at if there I could have exported RGB + Alpha... I need to export titles, for the client to integrate with footage in Smoke."

Render two passes: one for alpha, one for RGB. Smoke can use separate matte and fill.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]