ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Emit particles with particular from light parented to a null

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jt Pase
Emit particles with particular from light parented to a null
on Oct 14, 2012 at 12:14:59 am

Hi,

I'm trying to emit particles using particular from a light that is animated along a path. Problem is because the light is also parented to an animated null at the same time, Particular cannot read the actual position of the light.

I can't parent particular to the null simultaneously as that just moves the layer around.

I vaguely know I should be using layer space transforms, but any combination of toWorld and toComp doesn't work. Even when I get the particles following the right path of the light, it doesn't pick up on the parented null.

I can't change the way the comp is built, or the way the null is animated. It's a finished comp and I just want to add particles to it.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Emit particles with particular from light parented to a null
on Oct 14, 2012 at 1:25:55 am

You could use a null parented to the null instead. You'd need to use the toWorld() expression in both the XY position and the Z position property of the emitter (use an emitter shape that allows you to animate these properties).

I often like to use a Layer expression control effect to point particular to the layer I want my expressions to use.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Jt Pase
on Oct 14, 2012 at 9:14:13 am

Thanks for your reply, but I still can't figure it out.

I've already linked the position of the emitter to a null moving along the right path. Now, I want to offset that expression with the animation of another null. How do I create this parenting with just expressions?

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Oct 14, 2012 at 9:14:35 pm

The toWorld() expression should reference the null at the end of the parent/child chain in your case. There is no need to reference the parent, it's only there to facilitate the childs animation.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]