ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D text word by word popup simplification?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JonZ MarZ3D text word by word popup simplification?
by on Oct 13, 2012 at 6:48:54 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to do an advert which have text popping on the screen one by one as the words are spoken. I simply make a layer for each words but I thought that process is a bit demanding and unorganized when it come to make the paragraphs looking in good alignment.

Is there a way that you only make the text one time with the proper alignment and have the 3D effect and scale from it without creating layers for each words?

I guess it not possible, I'm trying to find out how to simplify this method.

Thanks, (example image on this link)
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2880/dcea3a2960e747a38eb8f2c.png

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: 3D text word by word popup simplification?
by on Oct 13, 2012 at 7:40:20 pm

You need to check out Text Animators(38-45).

But for your purpose, create your text in a single paragraph. Twirl open the text and under the animate fly-out choose "Enable Per Character 3d", then go to the animate fly out and choose "Position". Now on the new Animator 1 click the Add flyout and add a "scale" animator.

For position change the Z-position to 2000(change it to what you want) and change the scale to 0. Now twirl open the advanced and change from Based on from "characters" to "words" and change the mode from "Add" to "Subtract". When working with words I like to change the units from "Percentage" to "Index"(Index is the total units you are using...in your sentence it would be 4)

Now open up the Range Selector and set a keyframe for End and change it 0, move the Current Time Indicator to whatever duration you want and change "End" back to whatever you need to complete the animation.

If you use go to your effects & presets browser and click pulldown, you can use the "browse presets" to look at all the text presets that adobe has created.

Here's a quick example project you can check out, if anything I said was unclear, and if it was, just ask and I'll try to explain it better: 4790_textanimatorexample.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jim DodsonRe: 3D text word by word popup simplification?
by on Oct 14, 2012 at 12:31:50 am

In addition to Johnny's sage advice, you can also try Animation Presets.

Highlight your text layer then - Go to "animation" --> Browse Presets.
This should bring up a window of folders (possibly in Adobe Bridge) - double click the "Text" folder then find a folder called "3d Text" then find a preset called "3d Fly down behind" -- double click that to apply it to your layer.

Twirl down Range selector One then twirl "Advanced" and change the "Based On" to words. I think this is the effect you are trying to achieve? After Effects gives you key frames for the duration of the words flying in which you can adjust to your taste -- adding hold frames for example to creat a pause in the words flying in etc.

This preset will have words flying on -- time reverse the key frames and they will fly off towards the camera then past and off the screen.

I hope this helps....

Jim Dodson

8 Core Intel -- Mac - OSX

Return to posts index

JonZ MarZRe: 3D text word by word popup simplification?
by on Oct 14, 2012 at 1:29:10 am

Sorry for my noobishness but, I seem to cannot find where's that browse preset thing. I remember having seeing it on a tutorial but I can't see it on my side. I have expanded text, push the animate button but the choices offered to me there's only modules of animations.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: 3D text word by word popup simplification?
by on Oct 14, 2012 at 1:35:38 pm

Go to the Animation in the menu bar and you will find Browse Presets. Also if you have the Effects & Presets panel open there is a flyout you can press where you can access the Browser.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

JonZ MarZRe: 3D text word by word popup simplification?
by on Oct 14, 2012 at 4:56:26 pm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]