ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Continuously Rasterize = VCP OF not obeying camera movement

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Dodson
Continuously Rasterize = VCP OF not obeying camera movement
on Oct 12, 2012 at 8:52:58 pm

have a two layers that are fairly close to my 3D after effects camera in Z space (for maximum parallax when the camera cranes up to the layers) they appear in the foreground with a lot of motion . BTW Depth of Field is OFF.

One layer has text on it. The other has Optical Flares.

As the camera cranes up and the layers appear, both the text and the Flares layers are fuzzy (presumably because the layers are so close to the lens -- eventhough DOF is OFF) unless I hit the "Continuously Rasterize" button -- then both layers are in crisp focus and are not fuzzy. BUT, with the "Continuously Rasterize" button pressed, when the camera moves, the Optical Flares layer no longer moves with the camera -- it just sits there and stays on frame even-though the camera is craning away -- the weird thing is the Text layer does crane away appropriately and it also has the "Continuously Rasterize" button pressed.

Any thoughts??????

Jim Dodson

8 Core Intel -- Mac - OSX

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: Continuously Rasterize = VCP OF not obeying camera movement
on Oct 13, 2012 at 6:33:22 am

Jim

Check whether the motion blur is enabled or not.

Sometimes because of motion blur layers appear fuzzy.

Vishesh Arora
VFX and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Jim Dodson
on Oct 13, 2012 at 2:44:04 pm

Good thought, but no -- motion blur is off...

the problem is, the camera is in a large 3D room and the camera pulls back in Z space and "finds" this text layer and when it comes up to it it is very close to camera - (imagine craning up to a Budweiser Banner in the back of a bar up near the ceiling).

And that text layer is really zoomed in -- because it is so close to the camera lens -- (I had to turn the scale down to about 6%) -- because, while it is in the right spot, it is way too big. And it needs to be continuously rasterized to correct the resolution distortion of the camera blowing it up so large (probably 600% or so) and then me scaling it down...

It all works perfectly for the text layer, but the layer that has "Optical Flares" on it won't obey the camera when continuously rasterize is turned on for its layer.

Jim Dodson

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Oct 14, 2012 at 7:36:42 am

Usually you don't want to apply Optical Flares to a 3d layer. Is there a specific reason you are doing that in this case?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Jim Dodson
on Oct 14, 2012 at 4:09:21 pm

Thanks for the response. The Optical Flare is a long line that I am using as an underline for my text layer so I need to place it very specifically in 3D space.... The only way I know to do that is to make a 3d layer - go to frame 0 parent it to my camera which at frame 0 is set to "reset" position (i.e. the center of the universe) - then move forward in my timeline to where the camera "lands" on the text. Unparent the new solid and now that solid is exactly where I need it to be. I then apply the Optical Flare layer to that 3d solid -- that part works, but I need to hit the continuously rasterize button and then it won't obey the camera....

Jim Dodson

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Oct 15, 2012 at 6:46:59 am

Optical Flares should be placed on a 2D layer to respond correctly with a camera.

You might be able to achieve the result you're looking for in another way. Try placing the flare (not the layer) in 3D space at the text location. You may also need to animate the 'Center' property so that the flare resolves as a line in the correct location. This depends on the look you're shooting for.

Hope that helps.

I don't have Optical Flares on this computer so I can't give more specific guidance than that at the moment.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]