ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Final cut pro X to after effects workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Webb
Final cut pro X to after effects workflow
on Oct 12, 2012 at 3:53:03 am

Hi all! I'm editing a music video that will involve a lot of green screen and VFX compositing in after effects. I am looking for advice on the best work flow between final cut and after effects.

I am planning on first getting the edit done in final cut... But then I'm not sure how best to proceed to get the compositing done In AE.... Should I bring the edit into AE, chop it up there, do the compositing and then bring things back to FCPX? should I do it in chunks?

Not really sure how to do this from a workflow perspective... Not looking for technical help with either platforms, more high level method for doing this kind of video that relies heavily on compositing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Richard.

Return to posts index

Jacob Lanum
Re: Final cut pro X to after effects workflow
on Oct 12, 2012 at 5:32:30 pm

Return to posts index

Richard Webb
on Oct 13, 2012 at 12:07:46 am

ok... sounds like you are suggesting I export to XML and then load that up into AE... ok once there, I will end up with one long sequence of my main cut... but I have 4 main scenes that require after effects composting, and color correcting, etc.. these scenes will now be part of this main cut, editing and transitions made between them etc...

what should I do then once I import into AE? re-cut all the scenes in AE to separate them. then pre-compose and apply the effects? what about AE camera moves etc? this will become a mess.

I'm thinking maybe I should create 4 separate edits in FCPX and take those into AE... create the VFX there then bring them back into FCPX and then create the actual cut from these pre-composed AE scenes after they have been treated and camera moves applied?

anyone else worked on workflow similar to this?

thanks

Richard

Return to posts index

Jacob Lanum
on Oct 13, 2012 at 1:04:08 am

The app clip exporter will not flatten your sequence. It will enable you to send your entire project to after effects including all of your cuts etc. not everything will translate so you may need to redo dissolves etc.

Either that or manually rebuild in AE. I recomend buying clip exporter. The workflow you suggested is really the only other option.

Return to posts index

Richard Webb
on Oct 22, 2012 at 1:37:16 pm

I ended up getting clipexporter and have it chop up my sequence in after effects, works great! Thanks for the tip!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]