ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Change default keyframe velocity?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg NeumayerChange default keyframe velocity?
by on Oct 11, 2012 at 6:53:51 pm

Can someone tell me how to change the default keyframe velocity interpretation from 33.3%? I'd like it to default to 60%, but can't find anything related in the pref file. I'm getting tired of hitting CMD-SHIFT-K all the time.

Thanks,
Greg

Antifreeze Design
http://www.antifreezedesign.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Change default keyframe velocity?
by on Oct 11, 2012 at 10:02:47 pm

Sorry, but when I looked in AE's Online Help I didn't see any reference to a default keyframe velocity:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

I guess I'm not really sure sure you're doing. For example, let's say you want to move a layer 100 pixels vertically. If the two keyframes are a second apart, you'll see a keyframe velocity value. If you move the ending keyframe closer to the beginning of the comp, the keyframe velocity changes. There isn't any default.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Change default keyframe velocity?
by on Oct 12, 2012 at 12:42:29 am

Dave, I think he may be referring to the influence of easy-eased keyframes which defaults to 33%.

I don't believe there is a way to change the default but I think it could be automated using an expression, perhaps check in the expression forum.

Return to posts index

Bas MooijRe: Change default keyframe velocity?
by on Jun 21, 2013 at 1:00:09 am

Wanna know the exact same thing! Wouldl save a lot of time. By chance found an answer to your question anywhere? :)

Bas

Return to posts index

Greg NeumayerRe: Change default keyframe velocity?
by on Jun 21, 2013 at 1:44:25 am

I haven't found a way to change the default, but I've found a couple tools to make it more bearable:
Try aescript.com for a script panel called Keysmith. This puts the ease and some other tools right on screen in a panel, making it easy to click to apply.

Also try Animation Patterns, which will let you apply various preset patterns like 'Bounce Out' and 'Rubber InOut'. It's a little limited on presets, but quite expandable on your own if you watch the tutorials. I'd love for someone to build a more expansive library to apply to it. It's similar to Ease N Wiz, which I used quite a bit, but it overcomes EaseNWiz's biggest limitation and allows you to apply different patterns to various keyframes of the same property. (e.g. keyframe 1 to 2 uses bounce out, but 3 to 4 uses pendulum)

They're all "name your own price", so you can throw them some incentive if they work well for you.

Enjoy!
-Greg

Antifreeze Design
http://www.antifreezedesign.com

Return to posts index

Bas MooijRe: Change default keyframe velocity?
by on Jan 15, 2015 at 4:50:12 pm

It still does not seem that this function is integrated in the newest version of AE. Would save a great deal of time..!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Change default keyframe velocity?
by on Jan 15, 2015 at 5:45:57 pm

Sure, now that I understand the question: use the graph editor.

It's not a default, but then it's pretty easy to use. Besides, I'm pretty sure there's a way to change the default Easy Ease keyframe velocity in the AE Preferences file. Be careful -- fooling with that thing isn't for the faint of heart, nor someone who doesn't know what they're 1) looking for or 2) doing.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Greg C NeumayerRe: Change default keyframe velocity?
by on Jan 15, 2015 at 8:07:22 pm

Dave, we're talking about the numeric keyframe velocity settings that you can pull up by selecting a keyframe and pressing CMD-SHFT-K.

As far as preferences files go, there are lot of great preferences we can tweak (except this one!) and learn about by digging in that file. Just make yourself a backup before getting curious!

Return to posts index

Georgi KarapeevRe: Change default keyframe velocity?
by on May 20, 2016 at 12:09:08 pm

Bro I was having a massive headache because for some reason AE was putting a 16% influence on every new keyframe I add.

Solution:

1) Open the Velocity window (Ctrl+Shift+K) of THE LAST keyframe you have added to the layer.

2) Make sure ALL outgoing and incoming velocities are set to the number you want.

The confusing part here is that even though you may initially have the exact curve you want, the outgoing velocity of that last keyframe could be anything and it won't affect the animation. What it WILL affect is the next keyframe you create after it: it will have incoming and outgoing velocities like the last one you made.

I know that's not exactly what you were asking, but it will definitely help some people who will end up on this thread.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]