ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Render Problems - Glitches on one frame

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Calvin Gaunce
Render Problems - Glitches on one frame
on Oct 11, 2012 at 5:21:33 pm

Hi, I am having some issues while rendering in After Effects. Below are two frames that seem to glitch during rendering...

This footage was shot on P2 media. The background is a Photoshop composition. I am using a garbage matte along with keylight on the footage and no other effects. In the AE preview window, there are no problems. I am using Dynamic Link to bring the AE composition into Premiere and can see the problems in the Premiere preview window. I have also tried rendering out of After Effects to an H.264 format and lossless Quicktime format. Both had the bad frame.

I was having the same issue in another project, but then cleared the disk cache. That solved the problem. Now, I'm not sure what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Calvin

Return to posts index

Calvin Gaunce
Re: Render Problems - Glitches on one frame
on Oct 11, 2012 at 8:31:41 pm

Now, when I try to render straight out of After Effects, the render finishes less than a second into the composition... no matter what format I choose. Has anyone else had this issue?

Return to posts index

Justin Peay
on Oct 25, 2012 at 7:43:46 pm

I have the same issue. Footage shot on P2. Using dynamic link from Premiere to AE to key and grade. I talked with Adobe's support team and they said it might be because of using Apple's FCP log and transfer to import the footage from the camera. I used Prelude. Glitch is still there. Any time I make an adjustment to any effect in AE, the glitch disappears from its current frame, but shows up somewhere else in the timeline.

Any luck?

Return to posts index

Calvin Gaunce
on Oct 25, 2012 at 7:51:09 pm

Justin,

I never found out exactly how to solve this issue, but kind of found a workaround. Every time I opened up a project or was about to export from a project that was having this issue, I would empty the disk cache. It didn't completely solve the problem, but helped A LOT.

I was exporting about 30 sequences at a time and almost all of them had this issue. Then, when I started clearing the disk cache (every single time I opened and exported) I would only see the problem in one or two of the sequences. Then I would just do it again and hope for the best.

I hope that helps.

Calvin

Return to posts index

Justin Peay
on Oct 25, 2012 at 7:54:52 pm

Hope for the best. Story of my life. Thanks Calvin. I'll give it a shot.

Justin Peay
http://www.justinpeay.com

Return to posts index

Hal Long
on Jul 23, 2013 at 10:33:59 pm

Wondering if anyone ever found a consistent solution to this problem. I've had exactly this issue on multiple projects over the last year (CS6 and CC). I get similar glitches in the image, usually what looks like an interlaced fragment (even though projects are progressive and all settings correct). This has happened with Red Files (R3D), ProRes, AVCHD and P2 (AVC-INTRA, DVCPROHD), so it's not codec dependent.

Here are the basic conditions:

Adobe Premiere Pro Sequence --> Dynamic Link to AE comp --> quick matte (rectangle tool) around subject) --> Keylight 1.2 for keying.

At least 50-70% of final exports of the sequence will have glitches like above. The only workaround I've found is to keep changing the shape of my mask (around subject) to update the preview or purge the cache. This SOMETIMES fixes the problem, but often just allows the glitch to move to another part of the timeline.

I am running a GTX 570 GPU in AE and Premiere on my Mac. The card is not "supported" but is recognized okay once I added the card name to the text file for accepted render cards. The card works fine for accelerated playback in Premiere and in Resolve. Also, I've disabled the card in the app prefs and still get the same problems.

Really would love to know if anyone else is having this problem, or has everyone just written keylight off completely?

Thanks,

H

Return to posts index

Justin Peay
on Jul 24, 2013 at 1:22:52 pm

Still no solution. Only workarounds like you've mentioned. I have a buddy who has the exact same machine, exact same camera, and exact same software (CS6), and it gives him zero problems. Not sure what to do at this point, except use other keying plug-in or software, or hope workaround works.

Justin Peay
http://www.justinpeay.com

Return to posts index

Hal Long
Re: nder Problems - Glitches on one frame
on Jul 24, 2013 at 2:26:48 pm

Thanks. That's what I figured. It's crazy how much time this glitch has cost. I just bought primatte. Moving on...

Return to posts index

Adam Croce
Re: nder Problems - Glitches on one frame
on Nov 27, 2013 at 7:59:57 pm

So, yes, this is a hotly debated issue and no one has any answers besides workarounds and it is very frustrating.

The problem is that there occasionally happens to be ONE FRAME of render that has multiple lines missing for no apparent reason. Most folks say "YOU DON'T HAVE THE RAM SPACE!" or "CLEAR YOUR CACHE" and those would both be great ideas, if they worked. But, they don't.

The real issue has nothing to do with RAM. Well, not really.

If you go to your AE timeline and find that one frame that is just like it is in your render. That is the problem. The render isn't the issue, since the clip in the timeline clearly has the same glitch.

I was able to eliminate the error by duplicating the defected layer and deleting the old layer. The DUPLICATE LAYER WILL BE ERROR FREE.

So, yes it does have to do with the RAM rendering the effect or clip, but clearing the RAM will do nothing since the bad render has somehow been burned in.

BAM.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]