ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

problem with Time Displacement effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
crasse deux
problem with Time Displacement effect
on Oct 11, 2012 at 3:11:20 pm

Hi there !

I'm trying to perform some kind of mosaic effect on a video using the time displacement effect (which give nearly what i was expecting so that's great) but i got a problem with mosaic edges when the effect is applied on the video file. Images are better than words to explain it so here is some screen shots :

the original video

the map for displacement

and the result

and of course the problem are those bright pixels appearing on the edges of the map, i tried to increase the frequency in the time displacement effect but didn't gave any good result, maybe somebody as an idea of what i should do to correct this problem ?

Return to posts index

Tim Drage
Re: problem with Time Displacement effect
on Oct 11, 2012 at 4:22:06 pm

I was just having a play with it and I think the problem is that, as I remember every time I occasionally try it again, Time Displacement is potentially amazing but practically useless. :(

I have to do some actual work all of a sudden so didn't get to try this yet but maybe precomposing everything much larger than you need for the resolution of the video and then scaling it all down again would hide/smooth the gritty edges... or try some antialiasing plugin...?

Does anyone know of any third party plugin out there which would do the same thing but actually well, with antialiasing, frame blending etc options?

Return to posts index

crasse deux
on Oct 11, 2012 at 4:35:24 pm

Thanks for your answer Tim !

yep I think this effects has limits, anyway I will try as you said to build my video into a double sized comp ( double HD *_* , my render time will be great xD ) and the other emergency solution in my case will be to play with localised blurs with the lens Blur (which work with gradient map also) to smooth those ugly edges as there is not so many of them in my project. It seems that they only appear when a "dark" moment of my video is edge to edge with a "bright" one, so I'll try to manually modify my map to avoid that as much as I can.

Return to posts index

Tim Drage
on Oct 11, 2012 at 4:40:29 pm

Good luck, hope it works out for you! Oh, the lens blur gradient solution sounds like good thinking.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 11, 2012 at 4:43:20 pm

The problem has to do with first understanding how Compound Effects work with gradient layers and not necessarily the effect itself. Some Compound Effects work acceptably with hard-edged gradients, as yours is the case here. And some don't, as is the case here.

Soften the edges of the gradient layer with an application of a blur effect. You will also be able to accentuate the gradations across the existing hard/hars edges by working in 16/32 bit BPC color space.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
&
Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

crasse deux
on Oct 11, 2012 at 4:49:39 pm

Thanks for your answer !

ok so I'll try with a blur directly on the map ! sounds good and also to work in 32bpc color environment (I always forget to try those parameters, unless I work on viuals with light gradients)

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 11, 2012 at 5:07:31 pm

Good choice! ;-) Let us know how it goes!

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
&
Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

crasse deux
on Oct 12, 2012 at 2:08:58 pm

Hi there !

back from my mosaic work. So finally it worked out, so here is what did work and what did not about this time displacement effect :

- adding a global blur directly on the map did not work cause the time displacement effect seems to posterize gradients (and so blurs) from maps it use, so I still get edges, not straight, but edges anyway (with those damn pixels )

- making my comp 2 times bigger nearly worked out, but i still get those bright pixels, they were smaller, but as the source video is globally dark and blured (analogicly it was shot with depth field blurs) so when a "clean" pixel appears somewhere in it, you can't miss him xD

- what I did first was to lower the time factor of the time diplacement effect (the first parameter, i moved it from 0.6 to 0.2) so the video was less messy but cleaner (lot's of bright pixels where removed this way).

- and finally I added manually on zones where pixels still appeared some light lens blur using my time displacement map plus a mask on it to just focalized on specifics zones.

and so, no more aliasing and bright pixels ! hope this will help :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]