ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

pick whip expressions bring render time up???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tylor Larsonpick whip expressions bring render time up???
by on Oct 11, 2012 at 1:31:02 pm

i cut up a photo into parts to be used as a puppet. i then placed the cut up puppet file in AE as a Composition. I then placed that puppet comp into my master composition. i then added some "slider control" effects to the puppet composition on the Master Composition. i locked the effects panel and then stepped back into my puppet comp and Pick whipped the Rotations of the puppet layers to the new sliders.

the reason behind this was so i could pass the controls forward one composition. so if i had to make the puppet interact with something in the master composition it would be easier to set keys and adjust and move keyframes.

what i don't understand is why this pick whipped expression is making the render times jump up so much. or is there an easier way of doing this besides having 1000000 layers in on composition.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: pick whip expressions bring render time up???
by on Oct 11, 2012 at 2:38:54 pm

You haven't given much detail about how much of an increase in render times you're experiencing, so it's hard to know if this is abnormal.

Note that evaluating expressions takes some time, and it's common for the use of expressions to add considerably to render times.

Also note that the use of expressions can force After Effects to render using only one process, even if you've enabled Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing. Pay attention to the Info panel for helpful messages that tell you when this is occurring.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved