ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering at different frame rates

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Mark
Rendering at different frame rates
on Oct 11, 2012 at 8:04:19 am

I am having trouble dealing with two different frame rates when I render on after effects, I have the video running at 29 Fps but want to add a graphic that is 60 Fps then when I render them together the video lags and basically does not play, any idea on how to fix this.

Thank you.

A News Graphic Lover

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Rendering at different frame rates
on Oct 11, 2012 at 8:50:03 am

First I think you mean 29.97 fps, as there is no 29fps standard.

You should convert the graphics to the same frame rate as your video- 29.97- Interpret the footage to 29.97 fps (this will double the length of the clip) then enable Time Remap and create 2 keyframes (one at the beginning of your clip and one at the end). Bring the last keyframe to the middle of your conformed clip to speed up to real time.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

John Mark
on Oct 11, 2012 at 10:28:54 am

I dont want to make the graphic to 29.97 because it needs to be 60 frames. Thanks for the help

A News Graphic Lover

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 11, 2012 at 2:20:42 pm

Um, I'd double-check those frame rates. Seriously. It is an extremely rare thing indeed where the frame rates are actually 60 or 29 or 30.

Many cameras and editing applications report the frame rate in shorthand like 60 or 30. Many people use the same kind of shorthand.

But almost always, the precise frame rates are 59.94 and 29.97. They are NOT 30 and 60.

Now, if the footage comes from a $79,000 Panasonic Varicam, it just might be at 60 and 30, but cameras like that aren't common. Since AE is extremely accurate and extremely picky about frame rates, and since choosing the wrong frame rate now can only mean trouble later, you would be extremely wise to double-check them.

Don't say you haven't been warned.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Oct 11, 2012 at 3:07:17 pm

You need to give us more information- what is the exact frame rate your final product should have?
Is the video 30 or 29.97fps?
Are the graphics at 60 or 59.94 fps?
It is hard to point out the problem and give advice without the exact details.
Walter gave you an answer as to why your file may play slow on your machine.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

John Mark
on Oct 11, 2012 at 9:16:38 pm

Sorry guys for the poor information. The video itself is 29.97 frames ok, and when I place the graphic (lower third) I go up to Composition settings and change it to 60 frames and its says 60 NOT 59.94, it needs to be 60 FPs because it runs much smoother. So when changing the setting of the frame rate up in composition setting changing it to 60 would change both the graphic and the video. So how can I just only change the graphic frame rate to 60 and leave the video just at 29.97.

Sorry if this did not help again.

A News Graphic Lover

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 11, 2012 at 9:29:28 pm

[John Mark] "when I place the graphic (lower third) I go up to Composition settings and change it to 60 frames and its says 60 NOT 59.94, it needs to be 60 FPs because it runs much smoother. "

Sorry, I'm not following that.

Here are a couple of good frame rate tests for that problem footage:
  • When you look at the clip's frame rate by highlighting it in the project window and looking at the info at the top, what does it say?
  • When you drop the footage onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project window, it makes a comp reflecting the footage's specs. When you look at that comp's Comp Settings, what's the frame rate?

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

John Mark
on Oct 11, 2012 at 9:36:36 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "When you look at the clip's frame rate by highlighting it in the project window and looking at the info at the top, what does it say? 29.97 FPS
When you drop the footage onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project window, it makes a comp reflecting the footage's specs. When you look at that comp's Comp Settings, what's the frame rate? it also says 29.97
"

A News Graphic Lover

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 11, 2012 at 9:36:57 pm

Then you don't have 60 fps footage. You have 29.97 footage. It's that simple.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 11, 2012 at 9:34:02 pm

[John Mark] "Sorry guys for the poor information. The video itself is 29.97 frames ok, and when I place the graphic (lower third) I go up to Composition settings and change it to 60 frames and its says 60 NOT 59.94, it needs to be 60 FPs because it runs much smoother. So when changing the setting of the frame rate up in composition setting changing it to 60 would change both the graphic and the video. So how can I just only change the graphic frame rate to 60 and leave the video just at 29.97."

You can only have one frame rate for the composition.

Think about what this will eventually become -- a single piece of video that will play somewhere. You must choose a single frame rate, and it makes the most sense to work in the same frame rate as you must deliver to. Anything assets not already in that frame rate will have to be converted or conformed.

So -- what are you ultimately going to do with this video?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

John Mark
on Oct 11, 2012 at 9:41:52 pm

OK guys I understand now, sorry again for the poor information. I really do appreciate the help from all of you. Thank Tudor, Dave and walter.

A News Graphic Lover

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 11, 2012 at 2:59:39 pm

AE's default lossless output module generates an intermediate file that is designed for additional post-production use, not direct playback. These files are generally huge, with very high data rates, and very few computers can play them back in real time without stuttering. For more, see this Adobe FAQ [link]: Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly in a media player?

To help you choose a more suitable format for your needs, see the related Adobe FAQ [link]: What is the best format for rendering and exporting from After Effects?'>Adobe FAQ [link]: What is the best format for rendering and exporting from After Effects?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]