ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to make a voice sound like it's coming over the telephone in post using AE CS5 sound tools?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt CrunkHow to make a voice sound like it's coming over the telephone in post using AE CS5 sound tools?
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 8:59:13 pm

I already have the actor's voice recording with the video and had rather not have to do a an ADR session if I can avoid it. Also what settings could I use to take a little bit of room echo out of the voice? It's not terrible as-is, but would be better if I could dry it up a bit.

Return to posts index

clay stearnsRe: How to make a voice sound like it's coming over the telephone in post using AE CS5 sound tools?
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 10:30:50 pm

I am by no means an expert and I don't normally use After Effects for sound, but this might help you get started.

For the phone effect you want to create an EQ filter so only 400-1k is coming out. Narrowing the bands even more will heighten the effect. Parametric EQ is the effect but I don't know how it works in AE.

For the room echo add the reverb effect and play with the wet/dry controls. You may have some success going to a negative reverb as well.

Hope that helps,
Clay

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How to make a voice sound like it's coming over the telephone in post using AE CS5 sound tools?
by on Oct 11, 2012 at 12:11:20 am

As you probably have learned, AE really isn't the program you want to use to create audio effects. If you don't have Audition(which has a pre-built telephone eq), you could download Soundforge's Audacity and then follow this tutorial for creating telephone-like audio.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]