ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to make sparks fly out of stamped text.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Windsor
How to make sparks fly out of stamped text.
on Oct 10, 2012 at 5:53:46 pm

I have an intro that has some text flying in and when it hits its mark I want to have some sparks and smoke come from around the sides of each piece of text. Below is a link to the intro as it stands ( its a very early rough draft, a lot is missing). Could someone take a look and tell me if there is an easy way of doing this. I can probably do the dust/smoke because I have some stock footage I can use, but need some help with doing the sparks.

Here is the rough draft

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: How to make sparks fly out of stamped text.
on Oct 10, 2012 at 6:15:40 pm

Do you have access to or can you get Trapcode Particular? It's a 3D particle system, respects AE's 3d space. If you can there are some spark presets which would be a starting place.

Particular can use layers as emitters, so I would copy your flying text and create a version that was essentially just the outer edge of it. Then try to use that as my emitter. Also if you created the text in C4D it would be easy to tie a null to the text and export the data (AEC) to After Effects. Then in AE create lights(they can be used as emitters in particular) and have the sparks & smoke be generated from those emitters.

Red Giant allows you to use Particular as trial(watermarked), so there is no harm in downloading it and giving it a try.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Richard Windsor
on Oct 10, 2012 at 6:20:29 pm

Thanks, I do have Trapcode already. I will give it a try.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Oct 10, 2012 at 7:07:11 pm

Sorry, been awhile since I opened up particular and I'd forgotten this, but if you can tie the lights to the layer as it twists(not sure how you built the 3d text), you can actually shape the light to be an edge...ie. x = 50, y = 1, z = 1. Then your smoke/sparks will look like it's coming from an edge.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Nov 15, 2012 at 12:17:26 pm

Glad I was able to help

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Oct 10, 2012 at 6:48:27 pm

Richard

Trapcode particular has some ready made presets which you can use as sparks. You can use them from Adobe Bridge.

Got to Animation> Browse Presets

This will open Adobe Bridge.

Now go to Trapcode Particular ffx and choose weldblue or weldgold or something else that resembles to sparks. You can also manipulate the setting of presets after applying them

Vishesh Arora
VFX and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]