ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Problem with parenting puppet pins to nulls

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clay stearnsProblem with parenting puppet pins to nulls
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 1:13:42 am

Hey smart people,

I am trying to animate the face of character on a layer that already has some movement (the character is moving up and down corresponding to her breathing which is built-in to the game engine).

My first thought was to track the sides of her mouth to nulls so I could use those as starting points for the puppet pins.

Here is my track before adding the pins, everything is good:

Puppet Pins De-activated

But when I add puppet pins to those points and parent them with expressions to the positions of the nulls, the track starts out okay but starts to drift after a few seconds and gets worse through the rest of the clip:

Puppet Pins Activated

I'm guessing the reason this is happening is that the puppet pin is taking the motion track data as movement to deform the mesh, rather than as a moving parent for the pin's un-deformed position. I'm not sure about this though because I'm not seeing any weird deformation.

Following related threads on this forum, I have experimented with the following expressions for parenting the pins to the nulls:

//First try, which gave me similar drifting to that seen above
thisComp.layer("Mouth Right Corner").transform.position

//Second try, which moved the whole layer out of the comp because //the position of the pin added to the position of the null
L=thisComp.layer("Mouth Right Corner");

//Third try, which gave me the drifting seen above
L=thisComp.layer("Mouth Right Corner");

I can't say I have a really firm grasp on what's going on here, so I'm not even sure my assumptions about the source of the problem are correct.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks bundles,

Return to posts index

clay stearnsRe: Problem with parenting puppet pins to nulls
by on Oct 12, 2012 at 1:28:18 am

Trying to bump because I still haven't found a solution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved