ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Letters appearing in sequence with slight bounce

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Pierson
Letters appearing in sequence with slight bounce
on Oct 9, 2012 at 6:50:40 pm

Hey,

I have a(hopefully) simple question. How does one achieve text appearing at 3 seconds in this video?

https://vimeo.com/46819395

the text reads 'how can you prepare for'

I know how to curve the text using a path, but im not sure how the characters individually pop up in sequence, I assume there is a simple preset but I cant seem to find it? The letters look as if they go from say from 0& to 110% and then rest down to 100%, can you add in a bounce to a preset?

Thanks in advance!
James

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Letters appearing in sequence with slight bounce
on Oct 10, 2012 at 12:32:47 am

you can add an expression text animator and use a bounce expression... if search the expression forum you should find some examples to work wtih.

but i don't think that's what they did here.

you can add multiple animators to a text layer, one can go from 0-100 and the other from 110-100 and then offset the offset keyframes.

try this... add a scale animator to the text layer, set the scale to 110, then animate the offset property from 0 to 100. each character should go from 110% to 100%.

duplicate that animator and set that duplicate's scale to 0. then drag the offset keyframes from the 110% offset down a few frames and you should start to get close to what you want.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 10, 2012 at 1:10:27 am

I was going to write an explanation of how to do this but it got too long. ;-) The Text Tool is a beast!!!

I've done up an FFX using CS5. Folks can download it here -
http://www.broadcastGEMs.com/MediaServer01/bGEMs_TextAni_OverShoot_02.zip

FWIW, my method is pretty close to Kevin's but I take advantage of the Text Animator Group's Shape mode and use only the End parameter of the Range Selector section. It's always nice to see other ways of getting the same thing done.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

James Pierson
on Oct 10, 2012 at 8:03:36 am

Thanks so much for both your work arounds, ive come very close to what I would like to achieve. So I have the letters coming up in sequence, having played with the 'start' offset keyframes. Although at the moment it seems that the first couple of letters just scale up to 100% while the last couple have the bounce, so not sure what im doing wrong?

Thanks again,
James

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 10, 2012 at 11:54:42 am

[James Pierson] "Although at the moment it seems that the first couple of letters just scale up to 100% while the last couple have the bounce, so not sure what im doing wrong?"

You didn't do anything wrong. It's just that you wanted something EXACTLY as what you had shown - no issues/wrongness there too. What I had sent you had the same issues as you have described. Tweaks were required.

Here's an updated version - http://www.broadcastGEMs.com/MediaServer01/bGEMs_TextAni_OverShoot_03.zip that closely meets your needs.

As you rightly noticed with the previous Preset, the first few characters were not 'overshooting' - learn this term (overshooting) because it describes, exactly, the behavior of a property when its motion overshoots its final destination and then gradually settles towards its final destination.

The difference between this Preset and the previous version is the addition of redundant text characters placed at the front of the previous text string. Since the previous Preset had issues where the desired effect only occurred with text characters placed later/ahead within the text string, one solution was to introduce redundant text characters at the front of the desired actual/desired text string. Clever? ;-)

After typing in these redundant text characters, the trick was then to move them away from the 'action area' to ensure that the desired (original) text characters were strategically placed. This procedure was accomplished using the First Margin parameter within the first Animator Group.

The next trick involved hiding/disolving the redundant text characters that were introduced. Instead of mucking about with the previous two Text Animator Groups, I created a new Animator Group (hooray - you now have THREE! :-D ) with an Opacity Animator Property, to suit for this purpose. The trick here is to adjust the Range Selector parameter(s) to only select the redundant text.

VOILA! The redundant text is correctly hidden AND your desired text string correctly overshoots its scale value.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
&
Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]