ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Gamma shift after export: have tired 4 things but no changes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexandre BrandtGamma shift after export: have tired 4 things but no changes
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 3:28:02 pm

Hello all,

I'm writing here in last resource as we have tried multiple things to fix the problem and it doesn't.

We have some HDV25p shots that we have exported in the same format with no changes for reworking in After Effects. We did some cloning stamp tool to suppress a few things here and there in the frame.

When we export the shots we have a Gamma shift and the image is darker and seem more saturated. Their has been no colour grading or anything in AE.

Here is a list of what was tried to fix the problem:
- Conversion to Apple ProRes 422 instead of working with HDV. Same problem
- We have tried changing the colour profile in the AE project following solution 2 and 3 of this page adobe page:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS44E9CED2-117D-4c19-879E-D553...

- We have tried the solution of going to QuickTime pro following the indication given on video copilot http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/2008/06/fix-quicktime-gamma-shift/

The problem still remains in every way. The shots are darker, we lose details in the shadow as such and the saturation is higher so the skin town lose their natural look.

Does someone has another solution ?

motion pictures + storytelling = ?
-> FILMMAKING !

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: Gamma shift after export: have tired 4 things but no changes
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 4:48:50 pm

2 things. Post a before and after. And what are you viewing the footage in to determine the color shift. Final Cut? Quicktime? What?

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

Alexandre BrandtRe: Gamma shift after export: have tired 4 things but no changes
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 5:15:11 pm

Hello,

So I viewed it in both QuickTime and FCP.

Here are the pictures.
It doesn't look to different in small and JPEG compressed but if you click you will see that the BEFORE has more detail in the leg black pans and that their is less saturation.
When I look at it in QuickTime the difference is much more noticeable.

This is BEFORE

This is AFTER AE export

This is AFTER AE export & QuickTime pro visual settings/transparency correction

-> FILMMAKING !

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Gamma shift after export: have tired 4 things but no changes
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 12:24:33 am

What are the project's Color Settings? How are the source files being interpreted? What are the color management settings in the output module you are using?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: Gamma shift after export: have tired 4 things but no changes
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 12:34:20 am

And what bit rate does it come into AE?? At what bit rate r u rendering?? 8 16 32???

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

Alexandre BrandtRe: Gamma shift after export: have tired 4 things but no changes
by on Oct 13, 2012 at 9:44:13 pm

Hello Folks,
I'm terribly sorry for the delay in my reply, have been pretty caught up with multiple things here.

So:
My export from FCP is done directly from the clip and not from a sequence and so I'm not modifying the original HDV 25p media with any sequence settings. The codec HDV is at 8-bit I believe.

The settings in AE are as follow:
Depth: 8 bit per channel

Workspace: None
(this workspace setting is very interesting. I have noticed that when I change it to something els it effects the color in AE. What I could do is assign a work space to the project but only if I can assign the same workspace in FCP. That would then make sens so we are on the same setting. Does anyone know how to do that in FCP ?)

Linearized Working Space: disabled (its in gray and can not be enabled because I don't have a colour working space)

blend colours using 1.0 Gamma: off. If I put it on it asks me to select a working space.

Match Legacy After Effects QuickTime Gamma Adjustments: On.
(this setting made a very noticeable difference. I tried it an hour ago. When I had if off, the export was as I have shown in my screen shots, with a large difference in Gamma. Now when it is on, the Gamma is much closer to the original).

Compensate for Scene-referred profiles: on (it is automatically on and can not be deselected)

-> FILMMAKING !

Return to posts index

by on Oct 13, 2012 at 10:26:42 pm

Some news:

I have noticed that in FCP the sequences are 8 bit YUV or YUV hight precision.
AE exports in RGB.

I found the solution by exporting in AE in RGB + Alpha & putting colour setting in the output at Straight (Unmatted). It has to be exported as Animation codec.

The result in colour is good. The gamma shift is almost not their. Only if I look really and compare the two images I see that my AE export is just a tiny, winy, slightly bit brighter and less saturated. But as I said its not noticeable really.

The problem comes back when I have to transcode them back to my edit format. If I go back to HDV or ProRes the slight shift (not the large shift in Gamma I had in the beginning when I started this post, but a small one) is back again, only when I bring the clips back in FCP (not in QuickTime).

As a side note: My transcode from Animation codec to ProRes 422HQ or HDV are done with Mpeg streamclip. If I do them in Adobe Encoder, the full video becomes with a blue tint. So all colours become shades of blue (interesting...)

-> FILMMAKING !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]