ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

PAL to HD query

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris brettPAL to HD query
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 1:49:48 pm

I currently have a machine that is going to struggle with assembling a multi-layer, live action, HD comp.

---- so am wondering if it would work if I made up a project in widescreen PAL ( so I can scrub through to check edit etc ) then' when the design is complete, drop the final project file into an HD composition setting for the render ? ( and go on holiday few a few days ! ! ) ....

.... and if so would any components be displaced with ratio differences please ?

Chris Brett /// U K

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: PAL to HD query
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 2:19:58 pm

Working in an SD comp with HD footage? Oooh, that's not going to be fun. You'll still have the footage in the comp, and AE still has to think about it.

Instead of working in SD, you'd be better off working in HD, but using tricks to help AE cope.

I've never been in the position of having to use proxies, but they may help. Using Draft Mode for layers will help. Positioning layers using
Wireframe Mode will help. Toggling Motion Blur, Frame Blending, etc. off until absolutely needed will help.

AE contains a script that allows you to convert an SD comp to HD. I personally have not used it. It may also help.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: PAL to HD query
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 5:29:42 pm

Dave's got some good advice for you: proxies, pre-renders, draft mode, reduced resolution, etc. I'll also call out the underutilized Shift-RAM Preview feature; I set this down at quarter resolution and every other frame whilst leaving my regular RAM preview on current resolution and no frame skpping. This way, you can tap Shift and the zero key on the number keypad for a quick and dirty preview, or just tap zero for a regular RAM preview.

See Improving performance [link] in the AE docs for a comprehensive list of suggestions to help you work faster.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: PAL to HD query
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 5:41:09 pm

-- thanks Chaps - much appreciated - chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved