ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AFX to FCP to Mp4 - HD 1080p workflow?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Damien FoxtonAFX to FCP to Mp4 - HD 1080p workflow?
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 4:52:05 am

I am working on some animations in AFX CS.6 which will end up in an edit in FCP. Then that will be exported to MP4 to be played through an iPad onto HD plasma/LCD screens during presentations.

This may seem like a dumb question to those who know - What composition settings should I be using in After Effects and FCP for this workflow?

Which frame rate should I be using? The Project will be used predominantly in the USA but also in Europe occasionally...

Thanks so much for your help.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AFX to FCP to Mp4 - HD 1080p workflow?
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 8:35:58 pm

Are you working with any video footage (i.e., elements that already have a fixed frame rate) or will all the animation be generated with Ae itself?

If you are working entirely with native Ae animation, you can easily work in one frame rate and output for both.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Damien FoxtonRe: AFX to FCP to Mp4 - HD 1080p workflow?
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 9:49:05 pm

Thanks for your reply Walter,

I will be adding some video which is some old NTSC DV footage at 29.97 - it wont be full screen, it is being added within the animation within frames hovering over a background.

It makes total sense that I should match that footages' frame rate.

If I then want to output a HD 1080p end product, will working in 29.97 frame rate cause any issues on screens outside of the US (e.g. HD screens that have a PAL frame rate legacy)? Or is this only a concern for broadcast?

Again sorry if this is daft question, just want to be sure I don't make a mistake.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AFX to FCP to Mp4 - HD 1080p workflow?
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 2:09:42 am

[Damien Foxton] "It makes total sense that I should match that footages' frame rate. "

Yes. I would.

[Damien Foxton] "If I then want to output a HD 1080p end product, will working in 29.97 frame rate cause any issues on screens outside of the US (e.g. HD screens that have a PAL frame rate legacy)? Or is this only a concern for broadcast?"

The frame rates won't match. You'll get the same result as you would with broadcast: a stuttery look. You have the same options for dealing with it as you do with broadcast: frame blending (soft) or optical flow (maybe gloppy). You could also do a hardware standards conversion just as you would for broadcast.

[Damien Foxton] "Again sorry if this is daft question, just want to be sure I don't make a mistake."

Nonsense! It's smart to ask upfront; it's daft to ask after you've already completed the work.

Good luck with your project.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Damien FoxtonRe: AFX to FCP to Mp4 - HD 1080p workflow?
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 4:50:55 am

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]