ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Motion blur looks bad on fake 3D text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick SmithMotion blur looks bad on fake 3D text
by on Oct 8, 2012 at 3:14:12 pm

So I've made a precomp with a bunch of 3D layers offset in Z-space to get 3D text, and it all works fine, but when I try to add any motion blur in my main comp it definitely doesn't look correct. It seems that every offset layer is blurring into one solid blurred chunk.

Here is an album showing the problem blur, the final resolve, and a correct looking blur on a 2D layer for comparison.

Is this a limitation of the technique or does anybody know a way to get the motion blur to look correct on fake 3D text in AE?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Motion blur looks bad on fake 3D text
by on Oct 8, 2012 at 3:45:51 pm

Yes if you are using collapse transformations, then you are going to run into this issue.

You could add an adjustment layer and add CC Force Motion Blur, but I find that's always a pretty bad render hit.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Motion blur looks bad on fake 3D text
by on Oct 8, 2012 at 6:00:01 pm

If you just want to create 3D text, you can work easily with Element 3D or some other 3D application.

Creating bunch of layers in z-space will create this problem if you use Collapse Transformation as they will act as individual layers while rendering.

Vishesh Arora
VFX and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Nick SmithRe: Motion blur looks bad on fake 3D text
by on Oct 8, 2012 at 7:41:26 pm

Thanks guys, yeah I figured that was the case, but I was hoping there was some fix that I was unaware off. I think CC Force Motion Blur or ReelSmart motion blur might be the best bet.

I normally wouldn't need to do this all in AE, but when I do it's a pretty annoying problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved