ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

GFX card query

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris brettGFX card query
by on Oct 6, 2012 at 2:25:11 pm

Hi there

Looking to build a new workstation that will increase creative scope and wondering if it makes sense to use a Quadro 4000 ( say ) for the main card and a GTX 460 ( say ) for CUDA acceleration - assuming you can specify use of this in 'prefs' or suchlike ......

Anyone know the answer to this one please ?

Chris Brett /// U K

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: GFX card query
by on Oct 6, 2012 at 3:47:20 pm

I've seen many folks using a similar setup, so it does make sense. However, I would wait a bit for what next year has in store...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: GFX card query
by on Oct 6, 2012 at 4:03:53 pm

Hi Ted .......

.... sounds like you have been beta testing something interesting ! ( ? )

Dont really have the luxury of waiting TBH --- current set-up is too limited and am planning to get something which has a certain amout of up-gradeability anyway which I hope will serve me well.....

....... anyway -- sounds like you are saying this sort of configuration is possible and that as far as you know this kind of thing works ok ( ? ) ................

Chris

=================

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: GFX card query
by on Oct 6, 2012 at 4:14:55 pm

he also may be referring to this, due out first quarter of next year.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2012/09/how-tesla-k20-speeds-up-quicksort-a-familia...

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: GFX card query
by on Oct 6, 2012 at 4:21:30 pm

Boxx lets you have the option to combine a Quadro with a Geforce GTX 670 or 680, so I think a 460 should work as well. However, for $200 more you get better performance from a 670.

Next year there should be more options though.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Oct 6, 2012 at 4:53:14 pm

Thanks Chaps - very encouraging...

Chris

============

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: GFX card query
by on Oct 7, 2012 at 7:20:54 pm

[chris brett] "Looking to build a new workstation that will increase creative scope and wondering if it makes sense to use a Quadro 4000 ( say ) for the main card and a GTX 460 ( say ) for CUDA acceleration - assuming you can specify use of this in 'prefs' or suchlike ......"

What other software are you using, Chris?

After Effects processes mainly on the CPU for the Classic 3D renderer and most effects, so GPU will not have a big impact here.

Several third-party effects use CUDA (GenArts Sapphire and NeatVideo come to mind), but most of the big third-party effects that are GPU accelerated use OpenGL (Optical Flares, Element).

After Effects can use CUDA processing for the CS6 ray-tracing renderer. In this case, it will use CUDA on all attached NVIDIA cards, with the caveat that it will use the lowest common amount of VRAM on all cards. If you do a lot of ray-tracing with Ae CS6, you should check out Juan Salvo and Danny Princz's AE/GPU benchmarks [link] for some guidance on GPU performance.

Personally, I agree with Tudor's advice to wait if you can on a workstation-class card. The current Fermi-based Quadro cards will be outdated in a just a couple months when the Kepler-based Quadros arrive. You could probably do well with a GTX 670 or two in the mean time.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Oct 7, 2012 at 7:31:15 pm

Thanks Walter for your excellent feedback ---

--- exactly what I wanted to know -- its all a bit speculative ATM but will probably go ahead with something like this before the end of the year and review after the spring.

Best regards

Chris Brett /// U K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]