ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Growing Maze Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lewis SpearingGrowing Maze Effect
by on Oct 6, 2012 at 12:49:44 pm

Hello everyone,

I am trying to plan for my new short film, and am quite confused on how I can pull off an effect. The short film starts with the protagonist walking into a white room and then turns their back away from the camera once in the centre of the room.

I will then be filming in a maze for the remainder of the film. I want an effect where the person in the white room has a maze grow around them. I would love to see the maze walls pass next to the actor leading them down a long path.

Do you have any idea on how I can pull of this effect? I know what I have said isnt very helpful, so if you want more information give me a shout.

Thanks guys, it is really appreciated.

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: Growing Maze Effect
by on Oct 6, 2012 at 2:07:49 pm

Hi - I would say definately shoot the talent first and comp him/her into an animating 3D model of a maze

If you can organise your choreography so that the entrance into the room is not a continuous shot then so much the better.

If you want a continuous shot then maybe its would work ok green screen the interior of the room and replace the inside with still which mix through to the 3d anim.

So much depends on the camera move as well.

I would storyboard this sequence first and go though it with someone who understands the dos and donts of compositing first.

If you only have one shot at this best do a test first ... its one of those comps that might be easy and look great if you plan it well but if not you could be in for a load of aggrolater.

..... my tuppence worth ...... and hope this helps.

Chris Brett // U K

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Growing Maze Effect
by on Oct 6, 2012 at 2:20:23 pm

Totally agree with Chris. Do NOT develop the plan for this shoot in your head, and then shoot, expecting it to work as you planned. I've seen shoots like this take days of trial. At best you could have a editing machine on location to check things out as you shoot. At worst you might have to shoot, then run back to the editing bay. Hopefully you can have a rough mock-up of your 3D maze walls to work with. If not, you'll have to rely heavily on your imagination.

"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved