ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Project settings for 2k (1.85:1) film out

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrea MariniProject settings for 2k (1.85:1) film out
by on Oct 6, 2012 at 8:18:03 am

I am actually doing for a client a title sequence that will be printed on film and for digital output in several formats (35mm film 2.35:1, 35mm film 1.85:1, DCP flat and scope, HD, digibeta and dvd).

I asked to the finishing lab which format would be better to deliver to them (they will do all the conversions) and they told me to work in 2k 1.85:1 and export as a dpx sequence, so they can easily do all the printout and digital format.

I'm guessing which settings I should use for my main sequence in AE, since the 2k preset is 2048x1556 with an aspect ratio of 1.32. Since DCP is involved (and will be the main format for projections) I was thinking to proceed with 1998x1080 since the aspect ratio is 1.85:1 and is the same size of the flat 2k DCP.

It's my first film out so I'm just trying to understand before starting to work on a wrong format.

Thanks, Andy

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Project settings for 2k (1.85:1) film out
by on Oct 6, 2012 at 3:54:37 pm

You can always work in the 2k preset @ 32bit and then crop/re-size when exporting.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Andrea MariniRe: Project settings for 2k (1.85:1) film out
by on Oct 6, 2012 at 5:15:14 pm

Thanks Ted,
my source material is 1080p, that is why I was thinking to work with a smaller format like 1998x1080 so I don't have to scale up the footage, and it's already 1.85:1 as the finishing facility asked. Do you think this workflow it's correct, or you are suggesting that would be better to work in a bigger format?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Project settings for 2k (1.85:1) film out
by on Oct 6, 2012 at 6:02:49 pm

If that's what you have then work at the final resolution. It would have been better to work at he 2k preset if you had that size footage and then scale down.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Project settings for 2k (1.85:1) film out
by on Oct 7, 2012 at 9:04:31 am

I'd personally work with the DCP specced 2K flat.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]