ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

very complex motion tracking/3D text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JonZ MarZvery complex motion tracking/3D text
by on Oct 5, 2012 at 4:23:01 pm

Hello,

I am trying to make a text floating over a car on which the text turns at the same angle of the car. The major problem is I just can't create a camera because the car is filmed from another car that followed it. I just don't know what to do at this point because it a very new situation from me. I've tried to make some tracking points to null but my text doesn't feels like it part of the scene since it not 3D (it track the movement but when the camera and car turns it doesn't feels right, like wrong angle, size, perspective, etc).

I don't know what to do, any pointers?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: very complex motion tracking/3D text
by on Oct 5, 2012 at 6:30:46 pm

It sounds like you need to do some advance planar tracking, so it's a job for Mocha. Because of the turns you might need multiple tracks too, but that's impossible to determine without seeing the footage. If you have CS6 you can select your shot and launch Mocha from within AE and I know I have seen a video about that, but I can't seem to find it.

Not knowing your level of familiarity with Mocha, here are few places to start:

AdobeTV tutorials on Mocha

Fundamentals of Mocha

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

JonZ MarZRe: very complex motion tracking/3D text
by on Oct 5, 2012 at 6:45:19 pm

Is mocha the free version is capable of making 3D camera or allows you to move objects into a perspective? I tried mocha a bunch of times but I always end up on a dead end. I track things but then what to do next is never clear what to do from my own usage because it never like those simple easy tutorials that never go beyond.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 6, 2012 at 2:55:53 am

I almost got around the problem, I have creating a tracking corner pin with AE manually. It should be good if I tweak some transformation during the process. The problem is I don't know well what to do next. the plane corner pin is on the hood of the car, and I could almost put my text on it. But once I transfer the tracking datas to the Null object I don't know what to do next. I can't find anything that could place text inside these pins. I've search a bit on how to make a use of corner pins but my search only leads me to 3rd parties plugins tutorials.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: very complex motion tracking/3D text
by on Oct 6, 2012 at 10:16:33 am

Without looking at the footage it is touch to provide a constructive and finite answer. Your options are to track transforms and then make the resultant text layer a 3D layer and adjust 3D rotations to suit your needs.

You could also track 3D rotations with mochaAE/Pro Version 3. Take a look at a couple of recent tutorials here -
1) http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/3d-camera-solve-with-element-3d-afte...

2) http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/mocha-v3-tutorial-camera-solving-for...

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: very complex motion tracking/3D text
by on Oct 6, 2012 at 3:52:49 pm

I've seen a pretty cool demo of Mocha Pro AE v3 at NAB with camera solves and 3d rotation. I think the pro version may be the tool you need for this.
You can also try Vodoo
http://ae.tutsplus.com/tutorials/workflow/free-3d-matchmoving-alternative-f...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Oct 6, 2012 at 5:10:57 pm

I've been messing with Mocha a bit and it seems like a sad plugin to work with. Never heard of Voodoo, will check. Seems like a better solution than Mocha already.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]