ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating 'bumper-to-bumper' animation as easy as possible?!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William CaballeroCreating 'bumper-to-bumper' animation as easy as possible?!
by on Oct 4, 2012 at 6:15:25 am

Hey Cowz,

I'm in desperate need to figure out how to create a workflow for a project for a client that sounds easy on paper, but is nothing but meticulous in practice.

Essentially, it's an animated workflow graph. In it, there are 10 rows consisting of many rectangular bars moving from right to left. These bars move as if they are in traffic (i.e., they start and stop several times without overlapping or bumping into each other). Additionally, they bunch up toward the left side of the screen leaving the right side open for new bars to approach with more space before eventually being stuck in 'traffic.'

How do i create this movement without having to manually keyframe EVERY start and stop movement?

Some stipulations:
  • I can't parent the layers because each layer moves individually in time to achieve the traffic feeling.
  • Each bar will need to change color when they reach different sections on the chart, so the bars will all need to be individual layers so I can insert the new colored bars and delete the old ones.
  • Each row consists of 5 variations in the size of the bars, so a simple filter that duplicates ONE image (Echospace) will not work.

I am very new to EXPRESSIONS, but am not sure if this is the best way to go. If so, could this (or any technique) be explained simply? lol.

Much thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved