ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animated circle entering stage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew AngusAnimated circle entering stage
by on Oct 4, 2012 at 5:35:26 am

Hi guys

Was wondering if anyone might know how to animate a circle (or dot) entering a stage (from left), then once it reaches a point, rotates on itself (similar to a page turn effect) then travels back but stops at halfway back.

I have been trying plenty of techniques but cant seem to get it right, mainly around have the circle use a cylinder type effect as it turns on itself. This or some type of warp effect gives it a realistic feel as it turns on itself.

Circle turn

Above is a crude attempt, using just the y rotation to peform the turn. As you can see, it doesn't really give an organic type of motion that I am after.

Thanks for any help, if forthcoming, much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Animated circle entering stage
by on Oct 4, 2012 at 6:27:49 am

Make the disk layer a 3d layer.
Create a 3d Null.
Offset the Null on the z axis and parent the disk to it.
Animate the Null to move the disk and to turn. Because of the offset you will get a turn that is circular (the radius of the turn will be as big as the offset on the z axis).
Turn Motion Blur on and apply Easy Ease on the key frames at the beginning and the end of the turn, both on the position and rotation.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Animated circle entering stage
by on Oct 4, 2012 at 12:13:41 pm

I messed around using CC Page Turn and came up with this:

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Matthew AngusRe: Animated circle entering stage
by on Oct 8, 2012 at 10:15:53 am

Thanks Guys

I ended up working on the page turn effect and tailored it to get the effect that I was after.

That and combined with a bit of motion blur ended up making it look realistic.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved