ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animate Along A Line

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott ThibodeauAnimate Along A Line
by on Oct 4, 2012 at 5:07:38 am

Hi folks,

Newb question here, please be patient.

I have a Photoshop file with two layers, one is the map with nice terrain and colours, the other is the road I followed on a recent trip I took. The file is here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?xfi75swd1462w6i

What I'd like to do is two things. Add the road, or layer 2, as the main road through Baja California. The second thing I'd like to do is animate it. So I would add the road on the second layer in black and have it visible as part of the map but then I'd like it to animate in red along the road to show that I've driven from A to B. I would then insert my video footage of location B and then return to the map to have the animation continue from B to C and repeat. I hope this makes sense. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Scott

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Animate Along A Line
by on Oct 4, 2012 at 6:21:57 am

This tutorial can be of use:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/creative-cow-after-effects-tutorials/shape-tips-3...

There's plenty more out there- all one search away...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Scott ThibodeauRe: Animate Along A Line
by on Oct 4, 2012 at 6:25:14 am

Thanks for the response. I had tried searching but just didn't know what it was I was searching for. I'll take a look. Cheers.

Update: I had seen that one. It's for straight lines. I wanted the animation to follow the curves of the path that I have on the second layer which represent the highway. Thanks though.

Scott

Return to posts index

by on Oct 4, 2012 at 6:33:32 am

This one is for an animated arrow that follows a curved custom path, but the principle is the same for what you need:

http://www.monologue.gr/tutorials/an-animated-arrow-tutorial-to-rule-them-a...

only a search away....

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Scott ThibodeauRe: Animate Along A Line
by on Oct 4, 2012 at 1:14:19 pm

Thanks again. This tutorial deals with drawing the line yourself using the pen tool. I have the line already from a PSD. Do I convert that into a mask and if so, how do I specify where the animation starts and ends. Is the layer considered a mask already? Again, I'm new at this so I'm not too sure but I'd like the stroke to animate along the path from north to south.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 6, 2012 at 4:04:55 pm

Just draw the mask on a separate layer following the path you have already, starting from the point where you want the animation to start.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]