ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problem Folding 3D Room

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric OlsonProblem Folding 3D Room
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 2:19:41 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to fold up a 2-D object into a 3-D object in AE. It's a room and each wall of the room is a separate layer. I parented each layer to preceding layer in the folding process and then precomped the layers and changed the anchor point on precomps so it would line up with the fold and behave like a hinge.

However, the problem I'm having is that when I make the first fold, the axis of the next fold is in completely the wrong orientation, making it impossible to predict where the layer will go. It doesn't act like a hinge.

Is there anyway to make the 3D anchor point fold in exactly the direction you want?

Thanks,

Eric

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Problem Folding 3D Room
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 7:15:58 pm

Did you change the anchor point before or after parenting?
It seems that you changed them after, which would explain a weird behavior. Once parented, any change you apply on the parent layer will affect the parented layer.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Problem Folding 3D Room
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 7:53:18 pm

If I'm reading the post correctly, you did something like the following:
  • Placed a 2D image -- a room -- into an AE comp, and duplicated layers to get the proper number of them
  • Isolated the floor and each wall of the room, using a separate layer for each
  • Turned each layer into a 3D layer
  • Moved each layer's anchor point to the appropriate edge & repositioned accordingly
  • When animating rotation, it was a mess
If that's an accurate representation of what you did, you have more work to do. You must actually build that room in 3D space, which is far more involved than turning a 2D image into 3D layers.
After Effects doesn't know that these layers as they're currently arranged represent walls and a floor. The room needs to built from the ground up.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric OlsonRe: Problem Folding 3D Room
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 8:10:53 pm

The "2-D image" is actually a layout.

http://images.creativecow.net/133405/amesroom.jpg

I have the layers parented in the order they attach in the layout. But when I start folding it up the axes get all rearranged which makes it difficult to be precise with the angle of fold. I'm thinking I might need to do something with nulls.

E

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Problem Folding 3D Room
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 8:16:58 pm

Tricky one since not all edges are perpendicular on each other. You need to adjust the Orientation so when you rotate the layer the axis matches the angle of the edge.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Problem Folding 3D Room
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 8:31:15 pm

Layout or not, it's still a 2D image. I suspect you didn't rotate the anchor points on each layer to reflect the proper rotational orientation.

Think about the problem backwards: build a simple room using solids made into 3D layers. A cube with one open face would do. You'd move each solid's anchor point so that will unfold as intended. You'll find that you're repositioning the solids in 3D space to get the room built properly... and positioning & aligning a null object's anchor point on the fold line would indeed help in the unfolding portion of this exercise.

After you've done all that anchor point moving, repositioning, null object creation and parenting, you're ready to unfold. When it's totally unfolded, poof! It's now a 2D object. But look at all the effort it took to get there.

You face the same situation, only in reverse.

Thinking about the problem a little more, it would help a lot to actually build your room in 3D space as in the example above. When it's right, you can fold and unfold to your heart.s content.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Problem Folding 3D Room
by on Oct 4, 2012 at 4:12:57 am

The image is all wrong - it's already in perspective when it should be flat, othorgonal 2D planes from which you construct a 3D room.

Secondly, you do not require parenting unless you want to animate the entire room as a single unit. For such a scenario, you would parent all the sides to a Null and animate the Null.

For now, you'll need to redraw all 6 sides of the room without perspective. Then lay them out as you would, to create a room or a box. Don't precomp unless it is necessary. Don't parent unless it is necessary.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]