ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

"Replace with AE Comp" on existing AE comp in PP timeline (CS5.5)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Thompson"Replace with AE Comp" on existing AE comp in PP timeline (CS5.5)
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 7:58:26 pm

I've been doing editing and VFX on a large project for a few months now. The edit and VFX are now locked, and the next step is grading and finishing.

The workflow thus far has been to edit in premiere, then for shots requiring VFX, "replace with AE comp". Each scene has its own sequence and AE project file, and all VFX comps for that scene are in that one .aep.

My plan was to then select the entire (video only) timeline of each scene and "replace with AE comp", and use that to grade each scene.

However I can't get this to work. I generate the comp for the entire scene, but the footage elements in AE which were already comps in Premiere, are just a single shared unlinked pointer to the scene's .aep file. I've tried "replace footage" in AE and selected the relevant .aep file, but this doesn't work. AE doesn't complain, it just allows me to select the .aep and says nothing, but the footage remains unlinked.

This seems to happen regardless of how I try to do things. I've tried doing this in a new .aep file as well as opening the scene's .aep file beforehand.

Is it just impossible to "doubly dynamic link" AE comps?

If so, any suggestions on how to do things? I'd really rather not render out each VFX shot from AE, roundtrip to Premiere, and then dynamic link again.

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved