ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to create transform transitions in after effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fernando GuerreroHow to create transform transitions in after effects?
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 6:37:27 pm

Hello

I am animating a scene that is been moved via a null object. Let's say this null provides a camera shake and I want to make a transition from the shake to another movement. I want this transition to be smooth, like crossfading two animations (NOT VIDEOS).

I said camera shake for the sake of simplifying my question, it really involves stabilized, tracked and expressions. But I don't seem to remember how to do this.

Thanks in advance.

f3

Fernando Guerrero
ccs-Vnz

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: How to create transform transitions in after effects?
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 6:52:05 pm

If I understand correctly your question, you can link the first Null to a second one that controls the second animation. Start that animation before the first one ends and apply EasyEase to the last keyframe of the first animation and the first keyframe of the second animation. This should provide a smooth transition.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Fernando GuerreroRe: How to create transform transitions in after effects?
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 7:00:36 pm

Hello Tudor

Thing is, the first null does not stop,

The shot in question is the following:

A video was stabilized x-y, then I use this stabilization information to move the still background by linking the tracker info on the video to the anchor point of the background. So now our subject is stabilized and the background moves with the coordinates given by the stabilization. I want to reverse this effect smoothly, I want the subject to loose the stabilization and the back to regain it's stillness.

Does this makes any sense?

I want to cross-fade the keyframes of two nulls.

tnks

f3

Fernando Guerrero
ccs-Vnz

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: How to create transform transitions in after effects?
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 7:52:20 pm

Right now I can't think of another way of doing this except to manually adjust the keyframes - maybe there is an expression that can adjust (increase) the x-y offset gradually so that in the end it matches the shake from the null and eliminates this way the shake... hmm, interesting. Any expression wizards out there?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Oct 2, 2012 at 7:55:25 pm

I think exactly the same, manually, but I refuse to believe this is the only way!

I remember 3dMax has a way to crossfade two animations and create "smooth" running-to-walking animations.

Let's summon the wizards once again to see what happens//

Fernando Guerrero
ccs-Vnz

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: How to create transform transitions in after effects?
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 8:38:21 pm

Hi Fernando...check this thread here...

Kevin explains how you can smoothly interpolate 2 position values. See if it helps.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 2, 2012 at 9:56:37 pm

Thanks a lot

I'm trying to make this work for there are multiple pre-compositions involved and a bunch of layers.

When the project is finished, I'll post the results. I estimate around december/january

Tnx again

f3

Fernando Guerrero
ccs-Vnz

Return to posts index

Conrad OlsonRe: How to create transform transitions in after effects?
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 10:40:27 pm

I wrote a blog post about how to do something similar in Nuke. You might be able to adapt it: http://conradolson.com/a-simple-nuke-expression-example

Basically you need to create an effect control slider that acts as a multiplication factor for the stabilization data. Then you can animate that slider between 0 - 1 to dissolve in the animation.

If you have two sets of data that you are mixing between I think you could take the second data and multiply it by the inverse of the slider (1-slider). That way you will get all of one data at 0, all of the other data at 1 and a mix in the middle.

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: How to create transform transitions in after effects?
by on Oct 6, 2012 at 12:06:16 am

hi fernando,

i think the expressions provided in the thread that cassius linked to could work here (conrads nuke solution sounds very similar).

how you would do it would depend a little on what you have set up...

it sounds like you tracked some footage and applied the track to the subject, so the subject now has keyframes for position and anchorpoint, and it looks like the subject moves with the footage.

what you'll need to do is parent the footage and the subject to a null.

add an expression slider to the null 1, and then try this expression for the anchorpoint of the null:

L = thisComp.layer("subject"); //set to your subject layer
linear(effect("Slider Control")("Slider"), 0, 100, value, L.position)

and this for the null's position:
linear(effect("Slider Control")("Slider"), 0, 100, value, L.anchorPoint)

if you tracked rotation, then try this for the null's rotation:
linear(effect("Slider Control")("Slider"), 0, 100, value, L.rotation*-1)

if you animate the slider value, at zero it should be shakey, and at 100 it should be still.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]