ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Green screen and projectors

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris TarrozaGreen screen and projectors
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 3:26:13 pm

I will be working on a commercial that features a projector as the selling product. Obviously, said projector will be used in the spot.

I am being told that they will be projecting a green image from the projector for me to key out and place some other footage in post, much like how most do with tv screens. I asked why not just project the actual footage they want on set. They said they don't know how well the cameras will pick up the projected image and also that they do not know what they want projected at the moment.

I suppose depending on the shot it could be as easy as doing a corner pin. If there's talent in the way then I guess the green screen will come in handy.

I know they are shooting on an ARRI so the camera won't be the problem, I suppose it depends how well this projector actually projects. I'm wondering if this green screen approach is the best method. Also, they are projecting onto a wall. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Green screen and projectors
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 6:16:02 pm

If you have actors/objects in front of the projection a green screen will help. I would suggest a real green screen the size of the projected frame. If you have camera moves make sure you have other objects in the shot that you can use to track the camera move.
If you have people in front of the projected image it would be best if the do not interfere with the space of the projectors beam, since that will produce in a real projection sharp shadows on the screen and a distorted projection on the body (same for objects).

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Green screen and projectors
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 6:51:54 pm

Main problem will come if there is something that will come in between of the projector beams. So you keep the projector at a good height to avoid any conflict. For tracking, Use some small(so that not noticeable by the audience) object with dark contrast so that you will get a good track.

Vishesh Arora
VFX and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved