ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Fairy movement

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin EriksenFairy movement
by on Oct 1, 2012 at 8:23:32 pm

Hi Cows! :)
I'm doing some visual effects to a music video where we have a Zelda-like fairy flying over the head of our protagonist. The fairy will look something like this: (safe link, no worries)

I was wondering how to get a realistic movement for the fairy. Ive considered tracking our actor, which it'll follow, then mess around with wiggle and such.
Any ideas? I'm not that experienced with coding, but I have been using AE for 6-7 years now, so I feel capable of doing stuff.

Much thanks in advance! I promise to post the music video up in this post when finished!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Fairy movement
by on Oct 1, 2012 at 8:44:28 pm

You can do a 3d camera track/solve if the camera moves and/or a track for the actor. Use a Light connected to a series of Nulls (3d) to animate around your subject (use one Null for offset, one for horizontal rotation, one for position on Y and one for X and Z - on top I would add one more for wiggle - all this will allow for precise animation). Use the Light with Optical Flares or Knoll Light Factory for the "body" of the fairy and with Particular for some pixie dust trails.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved