ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Another plasma tv color grading question: how is color space involved?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David RowleyAnother plasma tv color grading question: how is color space involved?
by on Oct 1, 2012 at 6:31:34 pm

I understand that the best way to accurately monitor your video (for color correction, etc.), is to use an I/O card (Kona, Blackmagic, etc.) with HD-SDI output, and send that to a professional monitor. Or rather, I understand most of the reasons why that approach is much better than just hooking up a plasma tv to your computer - but I'm trying to understand the color space implications.

1. What precisely is happening with color space when I'm color grading in After Effects, and one of the DVI outputs from my NVIDIA GTX 570 card is plugged into a plasma TV using a DVI-to-HDMI converter cable?

2. Assuming my plasma TV is calibrated to Rec 709 . . . does that mean I'm now seeing a faithful representation of my video if the target output is Rec 709?

3. Or is the DVI port incapable of outputting a Rec 709 signal? If so, what color space does it output, and is there any way to get around this problem? If not, it seems like the whole budget-grading-suite-plasma-tv thing can't possibly work, right?

Any help clearing this up would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
David

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Another plasma tv color grading question: how is color space involved?
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 12:36:29 am

Since the display is attached to the computer's graphics card, I'd profile the monitor and use Ae's color management [link].

I use an X-Rite i1Display Pro.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

David RowleyRe: Another plasma tv color grading question: how is color space involved?
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 1:28:43 am

Thanks for the response Walter, I've read a lot of your posts and was kind of hoping you'd respond. I'm at the early phase of learning this stuff where I know there's something I don't understand but don't know the right question yet. I have an i1Display Pro coming in the mail, so I'll definitely be using that, but how does profiling the computer monitor tie in to the issue of getting the right signal to the plasma tv? I should use the Rec 709 color space in AE's color management, right?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Another plasma tv color grading question: how is color space involved?
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 2:09:20 am

[David Rowley] "how does profiling the computer monitor tie in to the issue of getting the right signal to the plasma tv?"

When the plasma is plugged into the graphics card on your PC, it IS a computer monitor. I'm suggesting you use the probe to profile the plasma.

Color management won't help you identify field issues -- you'd want a video IO card for that -- but it will help you ensure that the color is right (subject to the limits of the display itself and the probe that profiled it).

[David Rowley] "I should use the Rec 709 color space in AE's color management, right?"

Yes, that's reasonable, since your outputs will generally be Rec. 709. However, see my post on color management [link] in a nearby thread for more on why the working space need not match the inputs or outputs.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

David RowleyRe: Another plasma tv color grading question: how is color space involved?
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 12:30:38 am

Thanks for the help, that's great to know.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]