ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects PC Build

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James IovinoAfter Effects PC Build
by on Oct 1, 2012 at 3:54:32 pm

Hi all,

So I'm going to be putting together a PC that's intended for Avid / CS6. I've been trending towards the more complicated 3D projects in AE so I wanted to build it optimized for that task. Would anyone change anything below? What's the "best" video card to get? Is it true the 580 does better than the 590, 680 & 690? Is 32GB enough for a scratch disk? Thanks!

1) 512 GB Samsung SSD (boot drive + applications
2) 32GB Crucial SSD (Adobe scratch disk)
3) 4 2TB internal Seagate Barracudas in RAID5 (media)
4) EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Hydro Copper 2 w/ 3GB VRam
5) Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad Core
6) 32 GB Ram
7) Windows 7

-Jim

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: After Effects PC Build
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 2:41:05 am

32GB is not ideal for a scratch disk/cache. Assuming that your footage files reside on the RAID, you can use the 512GB SSD as your cache disk.

Go for 64GB RAM if you can afford it. 32GB is the bare minimum with the number of cores you have.

The 580 is a good buy but its noisier and gets hotter than the newer generation, Kepler cards. You won't lose much horsepower with the 680 but do check for its compatibility with the AVID.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

James IovinoRe: After Effects PC Build
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 3:14:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I've since decided to go with the 680 because of the similar performance and peripheral benefits to AE.

I do have a few questions:

1) 8GB per core of ram isn't enough? There aren't any LGA1155 MBs I can see that support any higher than 32GB.
2) How much disk cache space do we reasonably need? I've done extensive searching on the subject and can't find an answer. If it's 100 gigs I'll happily get a 128GB SSD. I'd like to keep it as a separate drive as recommended by Adobe.

-Jimmy

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: After Effects PC Build
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 3:54:48 pm

Hi James, first off, I'm not very attuned to hardware stuff but I do have a decent idea of how to optimize AE. With regards to the 3770, I suggest that you go with a better board - one with more cores. Then aim for 4-6GB RAM per core for AE.

You'll very quickly appreciate MP rendering with the additional cores.

[James Iovino] "2) How much disk cache space do we reasonably need? I've done extensive searching on the subject and can't find an answer. If it's 100 gigs I'll happily get a 128GB SSD. I'd like to keep it as a separate drive as recommended by Adobe."

You have a 512GB SSD which I assume will be your startup/OS drive. That's a pretty huge drive for OS and apps. There should be able to set aside 100GB for AE's cache.

Adobe's recommendation for a separate drive AFAIK means that your cache drive should be separate from the drive where you store your footage. Seeing that you have a RAID, it will be ideal for storing footage. This leaves your startup drive as a viable drive for AE's cache. Take note that the reasoning behind having separate drives for footage and cache is that you do not want your app to write to and read from the same drive as this slows down performance for the drive.

Separating read and write operations across dedicated drives results in improved performance.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]