ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

creating a 3d web look

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Heathcote
creating a 3d web look
on Oct 1, 2012 at 2:27:16 pm

Hi,
I was wondering whether anyone could help or point me in the right direction for some resources that could.

I am attempting to create a 3d network look in after effects. A little similar to the opening of this animation. It is the closest i could find. https://vimeo.com/27338392#

I am wondering what the easiest way would be to build this in a 3d space that you could animate a camera around (having lines connect to points etc) and match it all up. Would you just try to create lines on separate layers and then fiddle around with a number of views to get them to match? I am wondering what the simplest way might be to do this so I don't get all muddled up and create huge amounts of work.

Many thanks,

regards,

Nick

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: creating a 3d web look
on Oct 1, 2012 at 2:52:01 pm

I'm pretty sure that person used the Plexus plugin. You can check it out(trial version) here.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Heathcote
on Oct 1, 2012 at 3:16:46 pm

thanks! much appreciated . I had come up with an idea where i use the beam effect and parented the start and end points to separate points and then attempted to move those two points around in x y and z to see if the parenting allowed the beam to follow.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 1, 2012 at 3:30:50 pm

Parenting works with transform properties. What you want is to use Expressions, perhaps you knew this but it's always good to use the proper terminology. There are heaps of Beam threads here at the COW. Please search accordingly.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Nicholas Heathcote
on Oct 1, 2012 at 3:48:00 pm

Thanks, I tried the transform but there no z value for the beam start and end values so though it looks great on the x and y it fails on moving the points in the z. Fairly new to expressions but have a very basic knowledge Will have a scout around. Many thanks,
Nick

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 1, 2012 at 4:07:18 pm

A 2D point can be made to follow a 3D point. With a 2D Solid with the Beam effect applied, you can have its start and end properties follow 3D Nulls or any other type of 3D layer.

Place the following script in the Beam's Start Point property -

StartPointLayer=thisComp.layer("Null 01");
StartPointLayer.toComp([0,0,0])

--------------------------------
Replace the text Null 01 with your own naming convention. Then copy the same script to the layer that is being used to represent the End Point of the Beam property.

The script 'hooks' the said Beam properties to the top left of each Null, denoted by the values [0,0,0]. Therefore, by changing these values, you will be able to place your Beam points with precision.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Nicholas Heathcote
on Oct 1, 2012 at 4:29:10 pm

Awesome! All works! thanks so much. I can now auto orient the points aswell so it doesn't disappear! Huge help. Need to revise a lot more expressions I think!

Return to posts index

Ed Tilsley
on Jul 24, 2015 at 1:13:38 pm

Hi - any idea how this guy puts content (the icons) in the spheres?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]