ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Slow refresh rate when scrolling timeline

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Freeman
Slow refresh rate when scrolling timeline
on Oct 1, 2012 at 9:12:23 am

Hi guys,

I was just wondering whether other people were experiencing a slow refresh rate when trying to scroll the AE timeline in CS6. It was slightly irritating when I was using a mouse, but useable with some practice, but I've just bought a tablet and I'm struggling a bit.

So, when I have a set of laters that are too big to fit in the screen I whip up and down the layers to get to those I want - often from layers keyframes to the camera keyframes and back. I find with the tablet pen I try and scroll and the timeline chugs down really slowly, maybe 3 or 4 seconds after I release the pan/scroll button...

Anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks
Sam

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Slow refresh rate when scrolling timeline
on Oct 1, 2012 at 4:42:26 pm

Using 3D? Multiple lights, big layers, layers casting & accepting shadows and especially raytracing can really slow things down.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Warren
on Oct 1, 2012 at 5:48:35 pm

Decrease the resolution in the Preview to half, or lower if needed

"You are the universe experiencing itself"
ChrisW
http://www.azprovideo.com

Return to posts index

Sam Freeman
on Oct 1, 2012 at 7:45:18 pm

Sorry Dave, should have been more specific. Apologies!

I'm doing a comic book layout with frames made in illustrator, (cont rasterise on) and then HD ProRes footage in the different frames. These are masked out using track mattes (solids). Then I animate around using a camera. There are lights but I turn them off until I render - same with motion blur etc. It's nothing taxing really. Classic Renderer. I should note I work in quarter quality for the most part, when building (always have), and changing the resolution of the viewing makes no odds anway (as that's absolutely fine for navigating around).

Also, it's not the viewer that I can't navigate around - that's fine, it's scrolling up and and down and left and right in the timeline that causes me issues. It just chugs down layer at a time when you try and scroll down. It's fine when I use the scroll bars however... Just irritating when you're in a hurry. I never had an issue with this in CS5 or 5.5, and it's taken a few months of using CS6 (and the new tablet) for me to get annoyed enough to ask if other people experience it.

Thanks
Sam

iMac 3.4gHz i7
16gb Ram
CS6

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 2, 2012 at 1:53:43 pm

A lot of CS 5 & 5.5 users have remarked on this behavior in CS 6. The old multiprocessing settings don't seem to work at they did, and they often turn it off. You might try that, then report on the results.

Another tip: clean out your caches, and if you're using a hard drive for a disk cache, don't. The feature only works best when you have an SSHD.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Vince Lund
on Jan 6, 2013 at 10:23:07 am

I seem to be having exactly the same issue... It seems when I have lots of layers on the Timeline (enough to fill the screen) scrolling up and down becomes slow and painful... I'm using trackpad to scroll. Grabbing scrolls bars seems a bit better, but there is still some lag as the scroll is initiated.

**this is scrolling the timeline window up and down, not panning on the viewer**

Anyone having the same trouble? Did you find a solution, Sam? I have multiprocessing off, and 16GB ram.

Cheers,

Vince.

Return to posts index

Sam Freeman
on Jan 11, 2013 at 12:53:55 pm

I never actually found a solution for this - I've put it down to another small glitch in CS6 which I have to put up with. The benefits of CS6 do generally outweigh the downsides, but I find this so very frustrating. Nothing I do seems to make a difference...

Let me know if you find anything!

Thanks
Sam

Return to posts index

Adelbert Weidler
on Mar 5, 2013 at 9:16:05 am

I'm having the same issues and while it seems a frequently appearing issue, no fix is done yet. Kind of frustrating.
Even more, as it does not even work to turn the render-engine completely off with pushing capslock.

Return to posts index

Shane Robinson
on Apr 4, 2013 at 7:57:58 pm

seems as though turning off the "After Effects Multiprocessing" dramatically improved it for me. Scroll rate is now as fast as the wheel will go rather than the chunky slow lag that it had before.

Preferences > Memory & Multiprocessing
uncheck "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously"

Return to posts index

Normann Petkau
on Jun 22, 2013 at 11:27:26 am

Hi guys,

after struggling with the same problem for a few months now on my mac (not on PC), I think I have found something that makes scrolling up and down the timeline window so stuttery: It's the Cache Indicator, the thin line between the work area bar and the layers.

My Solution:
Open the drop down menu of the timeline panel and turn off the option "Show Cache Indicators"... that's it.
I also noticed, that when it is turned on and there is a caching-process going on the scrolling is stuttery, but when the process is finished (i. e. the line goes from lighter gray to dark gray) the scrolling is smooth.

I hope this helps You, it worked for me. But also I have to say, that it is the Mac Version of After Effects I am talking about - on PC I never had this Problem... strange.

Normann

Return to posts index

Greg Platt
on Jun 28, 2013 at 1:56:31 am

You are a LIFESAVER. Turning off the Cache Indicators cleared it right up for me. I hated this issue. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Sam Freeman
on Jun 28, 2013 at 8:44:05 am

Normann you are a genius! I'm pretty sure that's sorted it for me as well. It's been bugging me for so long but I've never got close to sorting it (I'd actually forgotten that drop down menu existed...)

Thanks a million for sorting at and for sharing.

Return to posts index

chouki merou
on Feb 19, 2014 at 1:20:20 pm

Thank you! This issue made me continue working on CS5.5 until now !

However, turning off the Cache indicator make disappear of course the display of the green/blue bar of the RAM/Disk preview. Viewing it can be useful. Any suggestions?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Eddy Adams
on Oct 21, 2014 at 5:34:47 pm

I can confirm this fixed the issue while running After Effects CC (13.1.1.3) in Mavericks on a late 2013 iMac.

Return to posts index

Christoph Heimer
on Jan 25, 2017 at 4:33:04 pm

Turning off the cache indicator doesn't help at all on my mac pro from early 2014. It has gotten horrifyingly worse since I got a 5k display.
I don't know what to do to speed up the timeline again, but this is almost unbearable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]