ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Re: Adobe After Effects tutorial needed!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lois Carr
on Sep 30, 2012 at 9:36:43 pm

I'm working on a short film version of Alice in Wonderland and I was told that I could use After Effects to help with the effects but I can't find a tutorial anywhere. Does anyone know how I could make the background grow and shrink?

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Sep 30, 2012 at 10:51:16 pm

Hi there --

Basic introductory tutorials at http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/ are very useful for starters.

Also Andrew Devis's tutorials on this site are excellent as follow ups.

And when you reckon you've got the basics maybe go back to the VC site and check some of the more in depth tutorials involving creative use of basics ..... ( and also some pretty advanced stuff as well )

Changing the size of the b/g s pretty basic and I dont think theres any point me going into that in any detail at this point -- I would simply say that you need to have the rest of your compostion on another layer or that will change at the same ratio as the b/g.

All the best

Chris Brett

===================

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 1, 2012 at 1:06:17 pm

[Lois Carr] "I'm working on a short film version of Alice in Wonderland and I was told that I could use After Effects to help with the effects but I can't find a tutorial anywhere."

Not every visual has a canned tutorial with easy steps to follow. When you're trying to achieve a very specific effect, you'll often have to figure out your own solutions to the problems that you encounter, which in turn requires knowledge of effects and compositing in general as well as the software specifically.

If you're new to After Effects, I'd recommend the following link, in which Adobe's Todd Kopriva pulls together some important introductory materials:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

[Lois Carr] "Does anyone know how I could make the background grow and shrink?"

Making Alice shrink and grow convincingly in her environment is actually a very complicated endeavor. Unless you shot her on a chroma-key background, you must at a minimum rotoscope her out of the background she was shot in, then recomposite her with a clean plate if you shot one, or create a clean plate by patching the hole in the image where Alice was if you didn't.

To make shots like this shot look really natural, you'll have to accommodate the changing relative lighting and perspective -- not easy without 3D tools and a lot of pre-planning.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]