ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Particular - Thick Smoky Edge?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max JacksonParticular - Thick Smoky Edge?
by on Sep 30, 2012 at 9:55:23 am

Hi CC,

I've been learning Particular as much as I can in my spare time. From that, I've learned how awesome Photoshop is...Heh, go figure.

I've got a situation where I'm trying to emulate thick mysterious feathering from an "entity". It's not heavily whispy, it's more like quick wrapping flame tips but the whole thing is black, very silhouette.

I have a particular setup that is about halfway there. I've got the body smoking like they're on fire but two elements are missing:

1) the emitter stemming from the object isn't thick on the edge so there's no sense of residue or frothing from the edge

2) I need to shorten the life so that the curls coming from the emitter are short and sweet like flames.

What kind of particle recipe am I trying to put together?

I need to make my particle edge/surface thicker so it doesn't look like it's emitting from within the core of the layer and I need to tone and thicken the smoke factor.

Can anybody help point me in the right direction? I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks! :)

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Particular - Thick Smoky Edge?
by on Sep 30, 2012 at 11:11:07 am

Mr. Jackson

It would be better If you can upload a pic of your current particular effect.
Its not clear right now where you are and what you want to have.

Vishesh Arora
VFX and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Max JacksonRe: Particular - Thick Smoky Edge?
by on Sep 30, 2012 at 7:05:42 pm

Attached are two images, one of the effect I'm working on, the second a primitive shape to more plainly point out the area I'm trying to increase thickness.

I have a smoke effect on the shadowy cut-out. However, I'm looking to tighten this effect and thicken it at the point of emission.

In the red primitive I've circled where I'm trying to create a thicker softer edge. Right now it's just a hard edge with pixels emitting.

Was wondering with controls I should alter to move in the direction.

Return to posts index

Max JacksonRe: Particular - Thick Smoky Edge?
by on Sep 30, 2012 at 7:14:02 pm

Actually I think I figured out the answer. In order to create more particle mass or thickness at the root or point of emission I have to increase the Physics Time Factor. Simply increase Particle count or changing opacity over life helped but that's the direction I believe I'm looking for.

Thanks for responding though! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved