ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects - Hard Drives - Cache

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gavin Williams
After Effects - Hard Drives - Cache
on Sep 30, 2012 at 8:50:03 am

Hi

I am starting to work with After Effects and am concerned with the warning about my Cache Disk and scratch disk every time I open the application.

The default obviously puts the cache disks on my MAC HD. Is there something I should be doing to avoid the warning and make AE work better?

I do have a rugged Lacie drive with FIREWIRE connection - could I incorporate this into the set up?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: After Effects - Hard Drives - Cache
on Sep 30, 2012 at 11:38:49 am

Mr. Williams

Using Lacie for Disk Cache will be a good option. This will remove the irking warning and provide you more space on your Mac Drive. Also clear " Database and Cache" on regular interval to remove old cache if your drive is out of memory.

Vishesh Arora
VFX and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Gavin Williams
on Sep 30, 2012 at 1:39:14 pm

Hi Vishesh

Thanks so much for coming back to me on this

So should I put both caches onto the Lacie - the disk and media that it mentions?

Also I am running Premiere CS6 and importing the projects into AE - should I therefore put Premiere folders on the Lacie too? If so would that be the footage?

Gavin

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 30, 2012 at 2:49:10 pm

Can you describe a bit about your computer system, the video formats you use, and the sorts of Ae work you're going to be doing?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Gavin Williams
on Sep 30, 2012 at 3:53:09 pm

Hi Walter

I am running on iMac 2.7GHz Interl Core i5 with 12GB memory 1333 MHZ DDR3

I have a firewire Lacie 1TB external

Basically I am using AE for titles, basic effects and grading - I have just moved to Premiere from Final Cut so it will be working with Premiere Pro Projects. So it would be handy to know the most efficient way to run these two programs (ie where to store the cache, the footage etc etc_)

Thanks Walter

Gavin

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 30, 2012 at 4:03:16 pm

Disk speed is very important for performance, and neither the iMac's internal HD nor a Firewire-attached disk are high-performance options.

Do you have one of the Thunderbolt iMacs? You'd get the best performance for your configuration from a Thunderbolt-attached RAID.

If not, I'd probably keep footage/scratch on the external drive, but I'd consider putting the Ae cache on the system drive.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Gavin Williams
on Sep 30, 2012 at 4:07:21 pm

Great - thanks Walter

Yes the IMac does have a thunderbolt connection - can you recommend a cheap drive at all? Will I then store everything on this new drive? (All caches, footage etc)

Gavin

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 1, 2012 at 2:39:19 pm

Heed Walter's recommendations. The After Effects cache is best placed on the fastest drive with the fastest connection. An external drive connected over FireWire is a terrible place for it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]