ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tips on keying green screen footage.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
travis heberlingTips on keying green screen footage.
by on Sep 28, 2012 at 3:54:11 pm

Hey everyone.

I got this footage from a client...I just need to key out the green and add a simple white background with a vignette.

I have been using the "inside and outside" technique of focusing on the inside and then duplicating and focusing on the outside.

I seem to keep losing some of the hand and the finger nails regardless.

Any tips on getting the perfect key for this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Tips on keying green screen footage.
by on Sep 28, 2012 at 6:28:35 pm

Mr. Heberling

Have a look at this tutorial pn how to create junk mattes :

http://allbetsareoff.com/tutorials/creating-super-tight-junk-mattes/

Vishesh Arora
VFX and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Tips on keying green screen footage.
by on Sep 29, 2012 at 4:21:17 am

If you're going to be working with this client any more please advise them to consult with you on best practices for lighting and shooting green screen footage prior to future work. This footage is going to haunt my nightmares and I'm not even the one that has to deal with it!

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Tips on keying green screen footage.
by on Sep 29, 2012 at 7:13:35 pm

This footage is going to haunt my nightmares and I'm not even the one that has to deal with it!

And the kicker is that it will be composited over white... Why not just shoot it over white and bypass keying...

Not that this will help you here, but like Darby said, if you work with them in the future, there are 3 glaring issues with this shot.

First would be if you are going to key green, you want to avoid using green on the subject... Green nail polish was a poor decision and could have easily been avoided.

Second, the white balance is all screwed up... They most likely balanced off the LCD screen, which is much more blue than the studio lights they used. The LCD is probably pretty close to daylight color, between 65k-93k kelvin. They lights look like they were tungsten, so around 35k kelvin. This not only makes the skin tones orange, but the green screen isn't green anymore, so it will be really tough to get a good key. All they needed to do was add blue gels to the lights. They are called ctb gels (color temperature blue gels) and are a standard in lighting for film and video.

Third, the green screen should be lit a lot more evenly than that. Their camera probably has zebra bars meter that can easily display issues with lighting evenness.

Vishesh's suggestion should help, but you may need to resort to rotobrushing for some areas. The clip is short, so it really may be the fastest way to get it done.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Tips on keying green screen footage.
by on Sep 29, 2012 at 9:03:39 pm

Ha ha. Green fingernails on a green chroma key screen. Your client aint to bright.

I did pull a nice key using Keylight, but the nails were red. Hours of rotoscoping with Mocha or Rotobrush might work, but I wouldnt wish that on my worst enemy.

Sorry you have to deal with this silliness :(

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Tips on keying green screen footage.
by on Sep 30, 2012 at 9:20:15 pm

I can only add my concurrence with the other gents: this is God-Awful footage. The chroma key background is too bright AND it's not uniformly lit. The stakes through the heart are the green fingernails. If they had been any other color -- blue, for example -- you could have changed them from the original color to green, but you can't.

If there is any possible way to re-shoot, it should be done. This footage isn't worth anyone's time... unless the client enjoys paying through the nose to salvage a virtually-useless shot.

On the other hand, you may enjoy donating hours of your free time to keep the client, and perpetuate the myth that the footage as shot was good.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

travis heberlingRe: Tips on keying green screen footage.
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 2:24:03 pm

Thanks for all the feedback!

I will see what I can do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]