ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Canon xf300 footage looking like video not film

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david hareCanon xf300 footage looking like video not film
by on Sep 28, 2012 at 10:01:42 am

Ok ive just shot a music video using a canon 7d and a canon xf300. The problem im having is that the xf300 although amazing picture quality it looks too much like video rather then film. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips on how to just take that 'video look' edge off it.

The footage was shot at 50mbps and 25p and is Pal. But it just stands out so much next to the 7d footage. Ive got magic bullet frames but not 100% how that works as everything i do looks the same.

Any help would be very very grateful. cheers

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Canon xf300 footage looking like video not film
by on Sep 28, 2012 at 3:28:23 pm

There's a lot to the "video look" vs "film look" discussion -- lighting, color, frame rate, shutter speed, depth of field, etc.

Posting a representative frame or clip from each camera might help us make specific suggestions on matching the cameras better.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Al BergsteinRe: Canon xf300 footage looking like video not film
by on Sep 29, 2012 at 10:33:12 am

I own a xf100 , xf300 and 7d. I agree with walter, that you will have a hard time getting a film look from a run and gunsmall chip camera. I have worked very hard to color balance and would to say that you will be lucky to do so.I love the 300 and the 100, but i also agree that ittakes a lot of forethought to get away from a video look with them. As stated, lighting, camera distance from subject (zoomed in from the right distance), all contribute to it.

If all you want if great filmic look between a higher end camera and a lower end (like the 7d), i would get a different camera (sorry).try the look between a GH2/3 and an AF100 would be closer to what you want, consistently.

But take a look at my stuff, all the theatrically lit stuff likely has 300/7d in them, I tryto label in the descr. This one in particular i had a hard time matching, very frustrating. I point it out because it is the worst of the lot for balance between the two.the video of 1968 at the same site might be the best.

Remember too, it seems to me, that a 7d at 24p, will also be more subject to blur if the subjects are low lit, and in motion. But work with learning those flatter picture files, like the BBC ones, for the xf300, and tone down the 7D as well. I have used settings from P. Bloom i believe. Flatter is better for what you want.

For my next work that needs a filmic look, I'm going to shoot with two dslr's.or dslm's. But to be clear, my clients love the 300 look! I am no longer a fan of the 7d for video. But work with what you got.

Al

Return to posts index

david hareRe: Canon xf300 footage looking like video not film
by on Oct 8, 2012 at 9:21:25 pm

Cheers for all the replies. ive figured out the best way to remove that horrid video look from the canon xf300 is to have the shutter speed up over 250. This adds the nice look of a film. But does anyone have any idea of a colour style to match the technicolor cinestyle for a 7D?

The canon xf300 performs amazingly but im having trouble matching the colour style to a flat style for the 7D. this maybe the wrong forum but i was just wondering.

cheers

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Canon xf300 footage looking like video not film
by on Oct 8, 2012 at 9:25:58 pm

I'm not sure what settings are available to you on that camera, but you might try emulating Prolost Flat [link] with it.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]