ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Render out HD to DVD problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan RiceAfter Effects Render out HD to DVD problems
by on Sep 27, 2012 at 8:23:37 am

Hello All,
I am new to DVD authoring so please forgive my ignorance. I use a Sony FS100 and After Effects to put together 90 min. films. I edit the native .MTS files with little to no effects. The files are 1080 24p. I export them as MPEG-2 DVD for Encore. However, inside the AE timeline the footage looks very good but when I look at the .M2v files and finished DVD the picture quality is terrible and very blurry. I know there will be quality loss due to resizing etc. but, I know that this cannot be the best quality I can get out of this. I also thought about shooting in SD but after the comp is rendered it looks the same. Is there anything I can do? I am not apposed to using Premiere, or unorthodox methods. I just want the best DVD quality possible. I am running mac OSX Lion. Any input will help.

Thanks in advance.

Nathan

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: After Effects Render out HD to DVD problems
by on Sep 27, 2012 at 11:48:28 am

How are you watching the DVD, DVD player(or Blu-ray) and a HD monitor or are you watching it on a SD television. Some TV/Players don't upscale very well. I see this all the time in my projects.

Also, remember when going from HD to SD you are losing 75% of your resolution, it's going to be a noticeable loss. Can you post before and after screen grabs?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Nathan RiceRe: After Effects Render out HD to DVD problems
by on Sep 27, 2012 at 4:04:58 pm

Hello Mr. Cuevas,
Thank you for the reply. Like I said, inside AE the footage is very nice, but after export its very lossy even on my comp. screen. I have a Samsung 3D blu ray Player, and Vizio 55" 3D tv. I am a little afraid. I usually convert to a format that plays online and everything stays sharp. This is a Pastor who wants me to make some dvds for him and I am embarrassed because they look so bad. I thought also that it may look better on a SD tv though.

I uploaded some screen grabs, but it's not displaying them for some reason. I will keep trying.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 27, 2012 at 4:10:20 pm

Return to posts index

by on Sep 27, 2012 at 4:10:43 pm

Return to posts index

by on Sep 27, 2012 at 4:12:40 pm

Actually here they both look bad. The first image is the MPEG render shot and the second is the HD native shot. Can't really see much of a difference in here.

Return to posts index

Kevin ReinerRe: After Effects Render out HD to DVD problems
by on Sep 27, 2012 at 10:25:46 pm

Are you exporting the MPEG2 out of AE? I wouldn't do that.

Try this on a 1-min sample of your show:

1. Make a new comp at NTSC DV widescreen.
2. Insert your master show into this new comp.
3. Resize it to fit. (Layer/Transform/Fit to Comp)
4. Export to a lossless format (animation or prores)
5. Then take that file and compress it in a compression application using their best preset for SD DVD widescreen.

Hope that helps.

If I understand your original post correctly, you're editing 90 min shows in AE? Unless it is all effect work, that is your biggest problem. Why not use an editing app like FCP or Premier?

Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
32GB Memory
Dual-channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express card
Dell Display (23" flat panel)
ATI Radeon HD 5770
AJA Kona LSi SD/HD capture card
Rourke 16 TB
Flanders 2460

SOFTWARE
Mac OS X 10.6.5
FCP 7
After Effects CS5
Boris Continuum
Sapphire Plug Ins
All Trapcode Plugs
Zaxwerks Invig

Return to posts index

by on Sep 27, 2012 at 10:43:40 pm

Hello Mr. Reiner,
Thank you for your input. I will try that method next. I have not rendered out a lossless yet because I fear the file size. I rendered out a 20 min. lossless clip a few weeks ago of a slideshow and turned out to be 70 gb. I have been using AE for everything for a long time. I actually thought that may be hurting me as well. I just became very comfortable with AE and have developed a great workflow. If this could be stealing from me I will go into PPro or FCP. I am trying Sorenson Squeeze right now from PPro. I will keep you apprised of the progress.
Thank you for your input.

_Nathan

Return to posts index

Kevin ReinerRe: After Effects Render out HD to DVD problems
by on Sep 28, 2012 at 3:40:12 pm

Realize that the method I am proposing will drop the uncompressed file size drastically because you will be outputting an SD file instead of an HD file. It will still be large, but not nearly as large as HD. Try the DV codec maybe?

If it is still too large, then I would still do my scaling in AE as I explained, and then export your mpeg out of AE. Do a test and see if that helps.

AE really isn't meant to be used for editing. You're using a screwdriver to hammer in a nail. You'd be very happy if you moved your editing to an editing app and then do select effects work in AE, and then compression in a good compression app.

Good luck,
Kevin

Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
32GB Memory
Dual-channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express card
Dell Display (23" flat panel)
ATI Radeon HD 5770
AJA Kona LSi SD/HD capture card
Rourke 16 TB
Flanders 2460

SOFTWARE
Mac OS X 10.6.5
FCP 7
After Effects CS5
Boris Continuum
Sapphire Plug Ins
All Trapcode Plugs
Zaxwerks Invig

Return to posts index

by on Sep 28, 2012 at 4:29:35 pm

Hi Kevin,
Thank you for the input. I did a test last night and seemed to work out very well. Would you use Adobe Media Encoder or Compressor to render the Lossless into MPEG2-DVD? Which have you had the best experiences with?

Thanks Again,
Nathan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]