ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

strokes with correct shading

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Flemingstrokes with correct shading
by on Sep 26, 2012 at 3:54:09 pm

I am looking to re-create the overly-used design element of the traveling stroke as seen in Nissan's current national ads:

Nissan example

Mostly, I'm speaking of when the stroke winds around the car. Initially, I would have thought this would be done with Trapcode 3D Stroke. I can get something that looks similar, but I don't know how they got the lighting/shading correct on the stroke. When you apply a light to the 3D Stroke layer, it doesn't discriminate between a part of the stroke that's deeper in Z space versus one that's closer.

Any advice about how to create this properly lit stroke using 3D Stroke or any other way would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: strokes with correct shading
by on Sep 26, 2012 at 4:14:32 pm

i think i'd build it with thin 3d solids and linear wipe.... the solids will obviously work with ae's 3d lights, and you can add ramps or other shading as needed.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: strokes with correct shading
by on Sep 27, 2012 at 12:53:45 pm

Hi Dave

------- I'd even go one further -- I reckon import key stills into PS and artwork the strips there - of if you are an illustartor guy sort it there ..... ( without the spaces where it goes behind cars etc ) --- this way you have total control over shading to artisticly match shot --- and then comp it in AE.

The bands in the Nissan job dont seem to obey the camera or any kind of way or have any 3d parallax so it could well be thats how they were done ....

------ chris --

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved