ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Performance Improvement

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John OBrienPerformance Improvement
by on Sep 24, 2012 at 5:26:14 pm

I have a fairly fast i7 2600K Tower with 32GB Ram and GTX570 Video Card with 2GB. Question(s): If I were to follow Adobe's advice and install a SSD how large would it have to be and what would go on it? The AE app? The OS? Will I see much improvement in Fast Previews (which are already quite speedy....)

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Performance Improvement
by on Sep 24, 2012 at 6:19:38 pm

I might have overkilled it, but I have 4 SSD's. One for my programs(223 GB), one for CACHE(223), one for Source/Assets(120) and one for Render(120).

It depends on how/what you preview. You can do a background render to cache, work on another comp, then when you RAM preview it loads the cached frames super fast. Also if you shut down for the night much of your work will be cached and when you start up again it loads right up.

Unless you place your assets/footage on that drive I don't think it will increase your RAM previews that much.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Performance Improvement
by on Sep 24, 2012 at 6:56:17 pm

My vote is to use the SSD for the cache. Ae writes many, many individual files to disk to support the Global Performance Cache, so the biggest Ae-specific improvement will be from upgrading your cache drive.

If you have a second SSD, running the OS from an SSD will give you faster boot times and application loads.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Performance Improvement
by on Sep 25, 2012 at 1:25:59 am

If you can afford 2 or more SSDs, then John and Walter's respective recommendations are great. If you can only afford one SSD then get something more than 200GB for (a) OS & AE and (b) AE's cache.

For (a) speed improvements in starting up the system and AE will be greatly enhanced. Walter's already covered (b). An SSD is a very good investment for AE work but sufficient RAM for your cores is still more important in my books - 3 to 4GB per AE core is what you should be aiming for.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

John OBrienRe: Performance Improvement
by on Sep 25, 2012 at 3:21:07 am

Hey -- thanks to everyone for their help. John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved